none
Chose the best PMO environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a customer that want to setup an environment to implement a PMO workflow process, and we are trying to guess the best environment to achieve that. One of this could be to use SharePoint and Project Pro as PM tool, then synchronize tasks, while another environment could be to use Project Server.

I'd like to know your opinions regarding (but not only) the following key points:

• Licensing.
    • User experience.
    • Customization and maintenance.
    • Any other key point/feature that I miss will be absolutely appreciated.

AFAIK (not too much by now), Project Server with Sharepoint Server is the best approach for the end user, but not too easy for the customization and maintenance, but I'd like to know the experts point of views.

Sorry if this is not the proper forum to post the question. I'll be posting this in Project Server forum. 

Regards,

Milton Rodríguez

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Milton,

You’ll no doubt get a lot of views on this forum so I thought I’d get mine in first. :-)

If your project is going to be a reasonable size, I would suggest seriously looking at Project Server.

For reason beyond the scope of this forum, the project I’m working on now is constrained to use SharePoint only and this means trying to maintain about a dozen individual projects as separate files and juggle resources around between them.  (You can’t create sub-projects if your files are on SharePoint)

This creates a LOT of extra work that could have easily been avoided so please learn by our mistakes. :-)

Cheers,

Tom.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Milton,

You’ll no doubt get a lot of views on this forum so I thought I’d get mine in first. :-)

If your project is going to be a reasonable size, I would suggest seriously looking at Project Server.

For reason beyond the scope of this forum, the project I’m working on now is constrained to use SharePoint only and this means trying to maintain about a dozen individual projects as separate files and juggle resources around between them.  (You can’t create sub-projects if your files are on SharePoint)

This creates a LOT of extra work that could have easily been avoided so please learn by our mistakes. :-)

Cheers,

Tom.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:01 PM
  • This creates a LOT of extra work that could have easily been avoided so please learn by our mistakes. :-)

Tom, this is for sure a key point regarding the use of Sharepoint and Project separately.

Thanks for share your lessons learnt. I really appreciate that!

Regards,

Milton.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:07 PM