With new computer, user's Contacts folder is missing most entries RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the forums but haven't seen my exact situation. Windows 2008 domain. We are running Exchange 2010 and are updating some of the client computers from Win XP to Windows 7. One user was able to log on with his existing network credentials on his new computer and get all his old email, but the Contacts folder only contained 4 entries. Outlook 2010 is set to use Cached Exchange Mode, but repeatedly trying to open and close Outlook has not repopulated the Contacts folder. This is despite the fact that the connection status is  "Connected to Microsoft Exchange." I also tried unchecking Cached Exchange Mode and opening Outlook in online status, but again it failed to download the full existing Contacts folder from before the change.

I do have access to the old computer and could pull off the local copy of the address book (assuming it contains all the contacts). However, I need to be able to import just the contacts - it's been a week, so the user has downloaded newer emails.

Is there a better way to fix this? If not, what steps do I follow to get the old data off the old computer and onto the new, without adverse effects on the profile on the new computer?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:24 PM

Answers

• If they were created in the "Contacts" folder of the mailbox while using the old machine they should be in the mailbox . . . unless Exchange cached-mode was being used and there was a problem with synchronization. In that case, the missing contacts are probably still in the OST file on the old machine and you can either try fixing the synchronization problem or just export the contents of the "Contacts" folder (while still in cached mode) to a PST and then import them from the new machine (using the PST you created) into the Contacts folder on the mailbox.

OTOH, if the contacts were created in a PST on the old machine you can just import them from that PST into the mailbox's Contacts folder.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you talking about local contacts for this user or the GAL? you can export the contacts from his old profile to a pst file and import them into outlook.

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:31 AM
  • are we talking about exchange contact or Outlook contacts....

IF they are exchange contacts go to profile setting and check if downlaod shared folder in checked for cached mode profile

Also try to downlaod the OAB and check if you are able to see the contacts

if they are outlook contacts then we have to take the PST and import it

Contributor of http://msexchangeteam.in/ *********Please mark as answer if my post answers your query. if you find it helpful please mark it as helpful*********

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:50 AM
  • are we talking about exchange contact or Outlook contacts....

IF they are exchange contacts go to profile setting and check if downlaod shared folder in checked for cached mode profile

Also try to downlaod the OAB and check if you are able to see the contacts

if they are outlook contacts then we have to take the PST and import it

Contributor of http://msexchangeteam.in/ *********Please mark as answer if my post answers your query. if you find it helpful please mark it as helpful*********

These are contacts created by the user in Outlook, so I assume that means Outlook contacts. They were stored in the folder "Contacts" in the old address book. (Not the "All Contacts" folder which contains only the contacts added at the server level through AD.
    Friday, January 24, 2014 2:43 PM
  • If they were created in the "Contacts" folder of the mailbox while using the old machine they should be in the mailbox . . . unless Exchange cached-mode was being used and there was a problem with synchronization. In that case, the missing contacts are probably still in the OST file on the old machine and you can either try fixing the synchronization problem or just export the contents of the "Contacts" folder (while still in cached mode) to a PST and then import them from the new machine (using the PST you created) into the Contacts folder on the mailbox.

OTOH, if the contacts were created in a PST on the old machine you can just import them from that PST into the mailbox's Contacts folder.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:05 PM
  • ok so they are Outlook contacts You have option to either take it from the OST or the PST file from the other machine

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:58 AM