none
Sending mail via SMTP and Shared Mailbox with generic credentials?

Question

• We have a script that sends an email.  It needs to send from a shared inbox.  What I am seeing is that we would have to authenticate using a licensed user.  This is a problem.  I don't want to put my password in plain text in this script.  Ideally we would have a login specifically for this shared mailbox.  Is this possible? Is there any other way to do this?
    Monday, June 04, 2018 6:14 PM

All replies

• Just to clarify, you can't send mail with IMAP.  IMAP clients send using SMTP.  If you send to Exchange Online from a client, you use SMTP via TCP Port 587, which is authenticated and uses TLS.

If you have an on-premises Exchange or IIS SMTP server, you can configure them to send to Exchange Online, and then have your script relay the mail through that server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, June 04, 2018 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Any further help we can do for you?
    If it's solved, would you please post the solution here to share it with us? Thanks.
    Also, please free to mark the useful reply as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 15, 2018 1:43 AM