none
Having trouble relaying emails from our Payroll service

Question

• We use the payroll service ADS Profund. When attempting to email our employees their advice slips from paychecks we can successfully email within the organization, but anything sent outside of our network gets bounced back.

The error message Im getting is " : COM Error (-2147220977): The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay "

I have been in contact with the company about any thoughts they may have and they have advised me to correct the relay permissions for the Profund server and that I may have to set Profund to authenticate to the SMTP server.

I have done some digging around but havent found anything that seems like it truly applies here, and I dont want to overthink it as I may be missing something silly.

Any help is appreciated!

Monday, October 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• You should create a FrontendTransport receive connector.  Set RemoteIPRanges to the IP address of the ADS Profund server.  Configure AnonymousUsers for PermissionsGroups.  Enable relay permissions.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2013-configure-smtp-relay-connector/

Don't modify the default receive connector or else every host will be able to relay, a security risk.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:58 PM
  • If ADS is a cloud service then it's extremely unlikely that it's relaying sent mail through your Exchange server.  If ADS is sending mail with a sender SMTP addresses that has your domain, then you might need to update your SPF record to make them a valid sender.

You're going to need to understand the mail flow so you can ask an applicable question, though.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:14 PM

All replies

• You should create a FrontendTransport receive connector.  Set RemoteIPRanges to the IP address of the ADS Profund server.  Configure AnonymousUsers for PermissionsGroups.  Enable relay permissions.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2013-configure-smtp-relay-connector/

Don't modify the default receive connector or else every host will be able to relay, a security risk.

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

I am just two months into my current position here, so I am still getting my feet wet with how previous employees have set things up. What you suggested is the route I've found I will need to take, there is a bit of a wrench though. It seems that we dont have an actual ADS server. Im still doing some digging around and asking, but it seems that is the case. I believe it is relayed through our exchange server(although I will admit, I am not well versed in Exchange so I could be misreading this whole deal). 

The employee in charge of payroll uses the ADS desktop application to send all of the advice slips, which uses a local email address on our network to send.

I apologize if I am making things confusing, Im rather confused by this myself! From what Ive read on the subject, it seems that having a dedicated server would be the best bet, and would make setting up a new receive connector very simple. However, everything Im finding points to the emails being sent solely from her machine.

Thank you again for your help!

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:30 PM
  • If ADS is a cloud service then it's extremely unlikely that it's relaying sent mail through your Exchange server.  If ADS is sending mail with a sender SMTP addresses that has your domain, then you might need to update your SPF record to make them a valid sender.

You're going to need to understand the mail flow so you can ask an applicable question, though.

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:14 PM