Third Party DLP Products or Microsoft RMS? RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone here have opinions on use of DLP products such as the ones sold by RSA and McAfee?

I see that the RSA version seems to be promoted by Microsoft as being fully integrated with AD Rights Management Services.  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/ad-rms-dlp.aspx  Does that mean it works much better?

Is the Microsoft RMS limited to working with only Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office and IE?

Is there any significant feature gain to using third party products?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Anyone here have opinions on use of DLP products such as the ones sold by RSA and McAfee?

I see that the RSA version seems to be promoted by Microsoft as being fully integrated with AD Rights Management Services.  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/ad-rms-dlp.aspx   Does that mean it works much better?

AFAIK,

RSA DLP uses MS RMS infrastructure for protecting the content. It adds more functionality.

Is the Microsoft RMS limited to working with only Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office and IE?
    Yes MS RMS can be used with MS Office/Exchange/Sharepoint in order to protect Office documents as well as XPS files and e-mails. If you need to protect other types of files you'll have to take a look on partner products (Gigatrust).

This depends on your requirements and environment. In general RMS+Office is very suitable for protecting documents inside an organization. However I really can't tell if you need something different unless I know specific requirements.

HTH

Martin

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:26 AM
  • I do not have experience with RSA/McAfee so I guess the best way to find out is to contact EMC/McAfee.

Martin

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:47 AM

All replies

I see that the RSA version seems to be promoted by Microsoft as being fully integrated with AD Rights Management Services.  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/ad-rms-dlp.aspx   Does that mean it works much better?

AFAIK,

RSA DLP uses MS RMS infrastructure for protecting the content. It adds more functionality.

Yes MS RMS can be used with MS Office/Exchange/Sharepoint in order to protect Office documents as well as XPS files and e-mails. If you need to protect other types of files you'll have to take a look on partner products (Gigatrust).

This depends on your requirements and environment. In general RMS+Office is very suitable for protecting documents inside an organization. However I really can't tell if you need something different unless I know specific requirements.

HTH

Martin

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:26 AM
  • There is Microsoft Office in the environment, but it isn't the only application containing data needing protection.  Non-Microsoft documents would be things such as Adobe PDF files as well as some other Adobe file types in CS5, AutoCAD files, Lotus Notes email etc..

So, Microsoft RMS has no way to protect information beyond what's in Microsoft Office products?  Would third party products such as the ones I mentioned in the first post have this ability?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:31 PM
  • I do not have experience with RSA/McAfee so I guess the best way to find out is to contact EMC/McAfee.

Martin

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:47 AM