Word 2016 documents are opening blank RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After I upgraded Word 2016 to version 15.29.16120900 on my Mac I am now opening every document (attachments in Outlook, files on my desktop etc.) as a blank file. I can see that the header is correct so it seems to be opening the correct file, but the page is blank. Also, after trying to move some of the preference files it worked for some documents for a bit but then they reverted back to opening as blank again.

Before the upgrade to 15.29.16120900 it worked as it should though. I've tried resetting the default fonts from Font Book but it didn't help. As we have an enterprise license I also tried removing the 2016 version of Word and they opened correctly in Word 2011. After reinstall of Word 2016 however the issue still persists.

I also tried moving and recreating Office and Word .plist-files but no dice.

I'm running Office 2016 on Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Has anyone run in to this problem?

Kind regards,

Joni.

• Edited by Jonilj Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Joni,

>>I have another Mac (the one with the problem isn't really mine so I don't have full access to it) with the same software but I can't recreate the problem here<<

It seems that the issue happens on one specific Mac machine. To double confirm it, please try the following steps:

1. Confirm if all Word documents are opened blank on Word 2016.
    2. Create a new document, copy some contents, save it and close. Reopen it to confirm if the issue can be reproduced for new document.
    3. If the issue happens on all documents on one specific Mac machine, please try to completely uninstall Office for Mac 2016 then reinstall it to have a try: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-Office-2016-for-Mac-issues-by-completely-uninstalling-before-you-reinstall-ec3aa66e-6a76-451f-9d35-cba2e14e94c0

If there is any update on your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Before reinstalling you might try starting in Safe mode and let Word clear out it's cached memory of these files.

Steps:

1. Quit Word and all open Office applications, including Outlook, completely
    2. Start Word while holding down the Shift Key and keep holding it until the blank Word document or the Gallery page (if you have that option set) appears.
    3. If any other documents open while you are doing this... close them.
    4. Now quit Word and reopen it normally

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:45 AM

All replies

• Update:

The documents that appear blank, actually seem to have content in them. I can drag the mouse and mark the sections, but there's no text for me to read.

Based on an old thread I found I also did this:

• When marking the sections the "Font-menu" and all it's settings are also blank, but trying to change the font does nothing
    • Some documents appear to work correctly after opening them with Word 2011 first and then reopening them in Word 2016
    • Tried changing the Display/Layout-settings on the documents that open blank but this made no difference

I can't really see the difference in the documents that this works for and not.

I have another Mac (the one with the problem isn't really mine so I don't have full access to it) with the same software but I can't recreate the problem here, so I'm unsure what has gone wrong.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hi Joni,

>>I have another Mac (the one with the problem isn't really mine so I don't have full access to it) with the same software but I can't recreate the problem here<<

It seems that the issue happens on one specific Mac machine. To double confirm it, please try the following steps:

1. Confirm if all Word documents are opened blank on Word 2016.
    2. Create a new document, copy some contents, save it and close. Reopen it to confirm if the issue can be reproduced for new document.
    3. If the issue happens on all documents on one specific Mac machine, please try to completely uninstall Office for Mac 2016 then reinstall it to have a try: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-Office-2016-for-Mac-issues-by-completely-uninstalling-before-you-reinstall-ec3aa66e-6a76-451f-9d35-cba2e14e94c0

If there is any update on your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Before reinstalling you might try starting in Safe mode and let Word clear out it's cached memory of these files.

Steps:

1. Quit Word and all open Office applications, including Outlook, completely
    2. Start Word while holding down the Shift Key and keep holding it until the blank Word document or the Gallery page (if you have that option set) appears.
    3. If any other documents open while you are doing this... close them.
    4. Now quit Word and reopen it normally

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on the issue? Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the lack of response, I think you can close this one...I haven't had a chance to test any of the solutions yet but if all else fails a reinstallation should solve the issue.

Thanks for your assistance!

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:22 AM