Complete restore from raid system to single drive fails RRS feed

• Question

• One of my drives in a raid0 array is failing so I thought I would remove the drive and array, and have Vista restore to a single drive whilst the faulty drive is rma'd. However I receive a error message "The Winodws Complete PC Restore Operation Failed. Element not found. 0x80070490".

However when I add the drive back to the array and enable the array, the restore works.

I noticed before the start restore screen Vista asked which os to restore and if blank (which it was) to install drivers for the drive. As I was restoring to a stock drive (ie no array) I did not install any drivers and chose restore anyway (even though previous os was blank).

So my question is, how can I restore to single drive from a backup taken from an array?

Also, if sucessful and I work on a single drive and back that up, will this restore to a raid array when I finally get a new drive?

Thanks in advance ;)

PS - running ultimate 64 on evga 780i (nvidia raid).

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:45 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Please understand CompletePC Backup images can be used for disaster recovery and can be restored to another computer. The limitations on this are architecture related (x86 should be restored to x86 and not to x64, for example). Of course your new machine needs to have enough hard disk space to apply your image, a larger disk image can't be restore to a smaller disk.

It should also be noted that in order to perform a CompletePC backup to a different PC, the other PC will need to have the exact same hardware in order for that system to boot. Since a CompletePC backup consistes of an entire system, including the device drivers specific to that system, restoring that backup to a system with different hardware will result in many errors

Usually, we perform the CompletePC Backup and Restore operation on the same computer. If you would like to restore the image to another computer, please make sure the destination computer has the same hardware environments as the original computer.

This is why you cannot restore the image to a single drive from a backup taken from an array. I am afraid that you have to restore the image to the drive after you enable the array.

If you would like to replace the original drive, I recommend obtaining a new drive in same brand/model and size. A different hard drive may prevent you from restoring the image.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:18 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please understand CompletePC Backup images can be used for disaster recovery and can be restored to another computer. The limitations on this are architecture related (x86 should be restored to x86 and not to x64, for example). Of course your new machine needs to have enough hard disk space to apply your image, a larger disk image can't be restore to a smaller disk.

It should also be noted that in order to perform a CompletePC backup to a different PC, the other PC will need to have the exact same hardware in order for that system to boot. Since a CompletePC backup consistes of an entire system, including the device drivers specific to that system, restoring that backup to a system with different hardware will result in many errors

Usually, we perform the CompletePC Backup and Restore operation on the same computer. If you would like to restore the image to another computer, please make sure the destination computer has the same hardware environments as the original computer.

This is why you cannot restore the image to a single drive from a backup taken from an array. I am afraid that you have to restore the image to the drive after you enable the array.

If you would like to replace the original drive, I recommend obtaining a new drive in same brand/model and size. A different hard drive may prevent you from restoring the image.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:18 AM
  • So, what you are saying Tim, is that i fI choose to build a system with a RAID 0 for the OS and I decide later to use a single hard disk, the Complete Windows Backup / Restore will not work? Are there other options available to restore a complete backup to different hardware configurations?

I built a system with two 500gb SATA hard disks. My system board supports RAID 0, 1. I used RAID 0. One of the disks failed and I want to restore to a single 1TB HD. Is there third party software that will accomodate my needs? My backup is current, but totally useless if I am unable to use it.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I'm in a similar situation.  How do I restore from a backup created on a two drive software mirror to a single drive hardware RAID?  I tried and am getting an 80070490 error.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:46 PM