Vista Business boot manager RRS feed

• Question

• Had Vista Business upgrade installed, Vista is not dual boot, and XP no longer exists on the drive.  Shut down laptop running separate windows XP on a different disk, no visible activity, but after a disk swap to the Vista disk, Vista bluescreens on boot.  Repair OS from the recovery manager does not detect valid Vista install, bootrec /RebuildBCD does not detect valid Windows install, and I can't reinstall Vista because the setup says it has to be run from windows XP.  Do I really have to reinstall XP to fix this????

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:28 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Bwilliamson,

Thank you for the post.

From your description, it seems that you have a Windows Vista Upgrade disk. If you would like to use this disk to install Windows Vista, you have to install Windows XP first and then upgrade it to Windows Vista.

I am not very clear about the meaning of “Shut down laptop running separate windows XP on a different disk, no visible activity, but after a disk swap to the Vista disk, Vista blue screens on boot”. Is that “After shutting down the computer, unplugging the Windows XP hard drive and then plugging the Windows Vista hard drive, a blue screen will be encountered when booting the computer”? Thanks to confirm.

If so, I do not recommend you use such a complex way to install Windows Vista, which can cause the boot failure of Windows Vista . The reason is that the boot letter has been changed when changing the hard drive.

I recommend you install Windows Vista using the following method.

Plug the drive on which you would like to install Windows Vista, format it, install Windows XP and then upgrade XP to Vista.

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:17 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Bwilliamson,

Thank you for the post.

From your description, it seems that you have a Windows Vista Upgrade disk. If you would like to use this disk to install Windows Vista, you have to install Windows XP first and then upgrade it to Windows Vista.

I am not very clear about the meaning of “Shut down laptop running separate windows XP on a different disk, no visible activity, but after a disk swap to the Vista disk, Vista blue screens on boot”. Is that “After shutting down the computer, unplugging the Windows XP hard drive and then plugging the Windows Vista hard drive, a blue screen will be encountered when booting the computer”? Thanks to confirm.

If so, I do not recommend you use such a complex way to install Windows Vista, which can cause the boot failure of Windows Vista . The reason is that the boot letter has been changed when changing the hard drive.

I recommend you install Windows Vista using the following method.

Plug the drive on which you would like to install Windows Vista, format it, install Windows XP and then upgrade XP to Vista.

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:17 AM
  •  

Hi Bwilliamson,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:43 AM