none
DPM 2007 to 2010 migrations RRS feed

• Question

• I want to move to DPM 2010 from DPM 2007 using a fresh install aproach. (Current server health is not optimal.)

I plan to:

1) Remove current agents using DPM 2007 Console
    2) Optionally format Replica and Shadow copy volumes
    3) Reinstall OS and DPM 2010
    4) Install Fresh DPM 2010 Agents
    5) Optionally reconnect existing Replica and Shadow copy

Q1) After performing Step 1 above If I choose NOT to keep existing replica and shadow copy information on the DPM server, Is there anything else that needs to be performed on the client to ensure the new DPM 2010 agent installs correctly (Example manually delete shadow copies)?

Q2) Is the replica and shadow copy information compatable between DPM versions and if so how can I reconnect that informatio with DPM 2010?

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

To add a few steps:

Assuming that the OS is x64 2008.
    1.) Update the DPM2007 to 8861 or 8864. Update the agents as well.
    2.) Take a backup of the DPM database via dpmbackup -db. Save the backup to a network share somewhere.
    3.) Leave the storage pool alone.
    4.) Install the OS to 2008 x64.
    5.) Install DPM 2007 x64 and patch it out to the same patch level as you did for the previous backup.
    6.) Perform a dpm restore of the database.
         a.) Dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc <location>
         b.) dpmsync -sync
    7.) Perform a consistency check on all datasources.
    8.) Place the DPM 2010 upgrade media in the server and perform the upgrade.
    9.) Upgrade the agents.

Note* If you have library sharing enabled the upgrade will break that. I suggest you disable library sharing and enable it after the upgrade.

Thanks
    Shane

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Don

When you plan to skip upgrading DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 there are some tips I can give you. If you want to make a fresh start of DPM you don't have to retain anything, though it's very important that you understand that ALL of your restore possibilities is losts.

The best thing you can do if you keep the old hardware and just reinstall the Operatingsystem is to dump the DPM database DPMDB with the CMDLET        DpmBackup -db. Copy this database to an externa netshare or disk. Reinstall the OS. Install DPM2007 again, do a disaster recovery of DPM. After installing DPM2007 use the CMDLET DpmSync -RestoreDb -Dbloc <location>. Make a consistency check of all the protectiongroups. After this is done upgrade to DPM2010, upgrade all the clients, make a consistency check of all the Protection Groups. Done!

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Is there no way to restore a tape from an older system to a newer system?   Even if I manually have to restore the information?

Don Murphy

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Hello,

To add a few steps:

Assuming that the OS is x64 2008.
    1.) Update the DPM2007 to 8861 or 8864. Update the agents as well.
    2.) Take a backup of the DPM database via dpmbackup -db. Save the backup to a network share somewhere.
    3.) Leave the storage pool alone.
    4.) Install the OS to 2008 x64.
    5.) Install DPM 2007 x64 and patch it out to the same patch level as you did for the previous backup.
    6.) Perform a dpm restore of the database.
         a.) Dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc <location>
         b.) dpmsync -sync
    7.) Perform a consistency check on all datasources.
    8.) Place the DPM 2010 upgrade media in the server and perform the upgrade.
    9.) Upgrade the agents.

Note* If you have library sharing enabled the upgrade will break that. I suggest you disable library sharing and enable it after the upgrade.

Thanks
    Shane

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:44 PM
  • In DPM2007 you was able to read two different block sizes of the tape. In DPM2010 there's only one allowed blocksize.

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:01 PM