none
DPM using a second tape after system state error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM server that is backing up 12 servers using LTO-5 tape library.  The LTO-5 tapes are supposed to hold from 1.5TB - 3.0TB.  For this protection group, I am backing up directly from server to tape and not using intermediate disk.  If one of the clients being backed up has a problem with the system state backup, the DPM server will stop using the tape it's writing to, and grab another tape.  This weekend, the DPM server backed up 300GB to one tape and then one of the servers had an error on the system state backup, and then it grabbed another tape and started writing to it.   I would like to figure out how to get DPM to ignore the error and keep writing to the same tape. 

Using DPM 2010 with a mix of 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2 clients.  
    Monday, April 2, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Performing a Systemstate backup using only tape is a two step process.

Step-1) DPM instructs the protected machine to perform a SystemState backup which is performed by Wbadmin.exe on the local server and stored by default in the WindowsImagebackup folder on the drive with the most free space at the time the DPM agent was initially installed.

Step-2) Once the local backup is complete, DPM makes a snapshot of the volume containing the systemstate backup and then performs a backup of the WindowsImagebackup folder to the tape.

DPM should not consider a wbadmin.exe backup error a problem that would close out a tape and make it choose another, we should just fail that job and move on to the next job in the PG and continue with the same tape. If we had a tape error (io error under the covers) - that would close out that tape and we would grab another one to continue backups.   If you can find a way to manually reproduce the behavior, I can look into it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:00 AM
  • It's possible we are getting the i/o errors then - I have tried to re-create the issue but it's not consistent.

Mike - you had posted a reply to another user back in Aug. 2010 - title was "DPM 2010 not filling tapes?".  In that post, you mentioned how to change the registry for the "tapesize" parameter and you said that the default was 30GB, and that DPM read that entry.  I am not finding that entry in the registry on my DPM server.  Is this an entry I would need to add to use?  I gathered from your post that DPM might be seeing an i/o error and then grabbing another tape because of that.

Here is the link to the other post:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98

Thanks for your help!

Keith

• Edited by sdhondaman Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:34 PM lastname
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

I would not use the tapesize key as that will just cause the backup to fail and report the IO error instead of moving to another tape.

To see if the tape drive is reporting IO error 0x8007045D which equals "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Please run the following commands on the DPM server.

Open an administrative command prompt.

CD  C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp
    find /I "0x8007045D" MSDPM*.Errlog >c:\temp\0x8007045D.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\0x8007045D.txt

See if there are any entries in the 0x8007045D.txt file.

Also search for "-2147023779" which is the decimal equivelent.

find /I "-2147023779" MSDPM*.Errlog >c:\temp\2147023779.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\2147023779.txt

Do the same for DPMRA*.errlog 

find /I "0x8007045D" DPMRA*.Errlog >c:\temp\0x8007045D.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\0x8007045D.txt

See if there are any entries in the 0x8007045D.txt file.

Also search for "-2147023779" which is the decimal equivelent.

find /I "-2147023779" DPMRA*.Errlog >c:\temp\2147023779.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\2147023779.txt

If you find any of the above errors, please make the following changes and see if they correct the problem.

Save the below in notepad then save as BufferQ.REG on the DPM server.
    Right-click BufferQ.REG and choose the "merge" or open with.. registry editor option.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
    "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000003

Another fix that has worked for other customers (regardless of the tape drive manufacturer) in the past is to add the BusyRetryCount DWord to the Storport key

for (all) the Tape device(s).

HP SUPPORT ARTICLE
    =================

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=254838&objectID=c01655150

Note: (The Storport key does not exist by default)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DeviceParameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 250dec (0XFA)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:30 PM