none
Reg entry for deleting temp files in Windows 7? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Keith,

“How can I change that setting using a script or registry change though?”
    According to my test, the related registry key is showing below.

We could change the settings on one computer then export the related registry key (Privacy) to deployment. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy
    CleanTIF=1(check the box “temporary Internet files and website files”)
    CleanTIF=0(uncheck the box “temporary Internet files and website files”)

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

The main purpose is delete all temp IE files for every user, right?

Which version of Internet Explorer is you are using?

The links you posted here are supported for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7, please kindly note that.

From my experience, we could set automatic delete specific items when the last browser windows close using Group Policy.

Path: Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components >Internet Explorer> Deleting Browsing History>Allow deleting browsing history on exit.

According to my test, the related registry key is showing below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Privacy: ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit

If it doesn't exist on your system, please enable this Group Policy and restart computer to have a test.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Thanks Rick. The problem is that these machines are NOT on the domain so they won't get group policy changes. Can I just deploy this registry setting to them through a .REG file?

Also, will that delete all the temporary files?

Thanks!

Keith

• Edited by Keith Work Monday, April 11, 2016 5:56 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Will that delete all the temporary files?

Yes, according to my test, this setting will enable automatic delete some specified items.

If you want to delete all the temporary files, please ensure all the items are selected in delete setting. It will all the temporary files when we close the browser window.

Can I just deploy this registry setting to them through a .REG file?

Yes, according to my test, change the registry key setting will do the same thing as set up Group Policy. Please backup the registry key before we made any modifications to it.

Best regards.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Thanks Rick. Is it possible only to delete the temporary internet files (the first check box under the line in your screen shot), not everything else?
    • Edited by Keith Work Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:19 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Yes, you could only check the box “Temporary internet files and website files” and leave the other boxes unchecked, if you want to only delete temporary internet files.

Best regards.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Rick. I understand I can check that if I visit every workstation to do it by hand. How can I change that setting using a script or registry change though? I want to deploy it to hundreds of target machines.

Thanks!

Keith

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Hi Keith,

“How can I change that setting using a script or registry change though?”
    According to my test, the related registry key is showing below.

We could change the settings on one computer then export the related registry key (Privacy) to deployment. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy
    CleanTIF=1(check the box “temporary Internet files and website files”)
    CleanTIF=0(uncheck the box “temporary Internet files and website files”)

Best regards.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:37 AM