none
Periodic crash in ProcExp v16.30 viewing Outlook process RRS feed

• Question

• When opening the details view of a process sometimes a crash occurs resulting in the application silently exiting. It may be related to the Threads view as this seems to always be the last selected tab when I'm able to reproduce the crash (ie. the Threads view is the last selected tab on opening the details view for a process).

I've only seen this occur oddly enough on the Outlook process (OUTLOOK.EXE). Underlying system is Windows 10 v1903 x64. I have three minidumps collected one after the other when I was confirming if it was a reproducible crash. If there's anyone at Microsoft interested to take a look let me know and I can send them through.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:28 PM

All replies

• How did you collected the minidumps?

Eventually send them in to MarkC at  sysmonsupport@microsoft.com.

If you can spend some more time on this, please try grab a full dump using Procdump. Start procdump this way

procdump -ma -e 1 -n 5 -w procexp64.exe

then start Procexp and repro the problem

If you already have WER enabled, you can collect a full dump this way: add these registry keys to collect a dump after a crash:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps

DumpFolder REG_EXPAND_SZ  %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps

DumpCount  REG_DWORD  10

DumpType  REG_DWORD  2

Repro again and share the dump + the .wer file

Thanks
    -mario

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:20 PM
  • Hi Mario,

Minidumps were automatically created by WER. Reproducing the issue is a little tricky as it seems to occur when Outlook is in a certain state. Specifically, Outlook sometimes hangs when deleting multiple emails from an Office 365 Group, during which you can see a specific thread in Outlook maxing out a CPU core. Certainly it appears to be an Outlook bug that needs to be separately addressed, but it's when Outlook is in this state that opening the Threads tab of the Outlook process under ProcExp often results in a crash.

I witness this issue typically at least once or twice a week and have configured the referenced Registry keys to collect a full dump, so should be able to get the requested dumps over the coming days. Will update this thread and email the referenced contact once I obtain them.

Thanks!

Friday, October 25, 2019 3:15 AM