none
Workflow without any "Task list" assigned

Question

• Dear all,

I have some workflows in my SharePoint 2013 site that have no "Task List" assigned in the workflow Settings. It shows in SPDesigner 2013 as "New Task List...".

But whenever I try to create a new workflow using SPDesigned 2013, it does require me to have a "Task List" assigned. 

How do I NOT ASSIGN a "Task List" to a workflow in SPD2013?

Regards,

RN

Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

You must have a task list to run a workflow.

The New Task List link is prompt you to create a new task list since there is no task list in the site now.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, May 10, 2019 1:35 AM
  • I have already 2 workflows in my SharePoint without any task list associated. Unfortunatelly I cannot post pictures yet (account not verifyied), to post this screenshot.

I did not create these. They were already created and show in SPDesigner 2013 as "New Task List..." in the Task List field.

Do you know how this is done?

Friday, May 10, 2019 2:58 AM
  • I didn't install SharePoint Designer, let me take my SP Online web interface's screenshot.

When you create a list workflow, it will let you to select task list and workflow history list. You can choose new list then SharePoint will create the two lists for you during the workflow creation.

The option with 'new)' will create new list, and other options are existing lists in the site.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, May 10, 2019 4:51 AM
  • Hi RNJr,

What’s the type of workflow you created in SharePoint site which have no "Task List" assigned?

When we create a list workflow in SharePoint UI and SharePoint designer, we must create or associate a Task list. If you are planning on doing any sort of approval or feedback process, then it will use the associated task list. If you aren't using these things, it won't touch the list, but you still have to associate it with one.

When we create a reusable workflow, we don’t need to create a task list, but when we use this reusable workflow, we need to select an associated task list.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi RNJr,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:25 AM