Reverse lookup PTR records not updating with current IP address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

we have an issue with our domain controller DNS entries , our reverse lookup entries not matching with forward lookup entries.

if I am trying to resolve a IP with computer name its shows correct  hostname but if I am trying to resolve a host name with IP address it shows wrong host name.

see my issue screenshot below and let me know how to resolve this issue.  we have a correct DHCP configuration but our reverse lookup entries is not up to date , it shows the host names with old IP address.

Mani L

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that PTR records failed to be updated with corresponding A records.

I want to confirm with you that if the zones are AD-Integrated and configured Dynamic Update option as secure only. Besides, you have mentioned “a correct DHCP configuration”, if it means configure DHCP to dynamic update DNS on behalf of DHCP enabled clients?

One possible condition is:
    Configure a Windows Server based DHCP server to dynamically registers host A and PTR resource records on behalf of DHCP clients. If secure dynamic updates is configured on this DNS servers, resource records may become stale.

You may change the Dynamic Update option as none, and confirm that if it is your case. If so, We can use a built-in security group named DnsUpdateProxy to solve above problem. Detailed information you may reference(section - Use the DnsUpdateProxy security group):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/816592#bookmark-8

If I have any misunderstanding, or the problem persists, please provide more information about DNS server and zones.

The screenshot you have provided can’t be displayed in this forum, I recommend you to upload these screenshot to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/), then share them to me and provide me the access links. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

tried with changing group policy option , but still same issue.

reverse lookup DNS entry is still not updating in DNS server.

Thanks,

Mani L

Mani L

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that PTR records failed to be updated with corresponding A records.

I want to confirm with you that if the zones are AD-Integrated and configured Dynamic Update option as secure only. Besides, you have mentioned “a correct DHCP configuration”, if it means configure DHCP to dynamic update DNS on behalf of DHCP enabled clients?

One possible condition is:
    Configure a Windows Server based DHCP server to dynamically registers host A and PTR resource records on behalf of DHCP clients. If secure dynamic updates is configured on this DNS servers, resource records may become stale.

You may change the Dynamic Update option as none, and confirm that if it is your case. If so, We can use a built-in security group named DnsUpdateProxy to solve above problem. Detailed information you may reference(section - Use the DnsUpdateProxy security group):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/816592#bookmark-8

If I have any misunderstanding, or the problem persists, please provide more information about DNS server and zones.

The screenshot you have provided can’t be displayed in this forum, I recommend you to upload these screenshot to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/), then share them to me and provide me the access links. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:12 AM