Win10 Creators Update, Dolby Atmos for Home Theater = its just a demo RRS feed

• Question

• If you jump through all the hoops to connect your laptop to your home theater with the creators edition Windows Store app from DOLBY for  ATMOS "Spacial Sound"  you will find it is just a demo

Works fine with the scenes inside the Windows Store App from DOLBY so it is definitely working on my system and receiver...

But what happens when you try to do something useful with it, like listen to music or play a movie with VLC?

Nothing happens  ..... these programs cannot direct any audio to your receiver from VLC or mediamonkey  ..... 

PS .... and don't say it can't be done  ..... I have been doing it for years with Win7 and a Auzentech Meridian Sound Card and Dolby Digital Plus .........

Saturday, November 4, 2017 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Siranda888,

In advance, sorry if I misunderstand what you mentioned.
    Windows Store App doesn't work with legacy windows applications, such as VLC.
    They live in different world.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:21 AM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 12:10 AM
  • Why doesn't it?   It is technically possible as my Win7 system does it perfectly ....

You understood correctly  ...... and that makes the Dolby Atmos part of the creators update a DEMO  .... a deliberately crippled product ......

What MS and Dolby expect me to use their crappy video and music software?

Sunday, November 5, 2017 2:38 AM
  • Are you running Windows Store App in your Windows 7?

Ashidacchi

Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:37 PM
  • No sorry for the confusion  .....

I have a win10 laptop  ...... this post refers to that....

My home system is win7 with an Auzentech Meridian sound card  .......  it outputs dolby digital plus multi-channel audio to VLC to my receiver over optical like a champ  .....

I mentioned this to show that it is easy to do this in win7  ...... it is disabled in Win10  .... there is no technical reason this cannot be done in win10.

MS and Dolby must have made some kind of deal and are planning to release a Win10 store app that can finally output multichannel over HDMI to a receiver on Win10.

Nobody who actually has a beloved music collection is going to use your new Win10 Store music app  .... they will be using programs like Mediamonkey or Itunes if they like Apple....

I have a music collection carefully cataloged in Mediamonkey for mood, tempo and rating  .... other players are lucky if they can read the rating .......

Most of the music market MS is trying to target with the new Win10 Store app won't be outputting multi-channel to a receiver ....

If MS and Dolby released a Win10 Store app as good as Mediamonkey  ..... I would be the first to download it  ......  They won't.....

So really what is the point of crippling multichannel on win10 for the programs that people actually use?

Why do I use VLC ?  Is it because I am a pirate ???  Nope ....  it is because it actually plays HD movies properly unlike the 100$ of dollars in Blu-Ray software I purchased over the years ....  (WinDVD,  ArcSoft (until it was killed).  A MkV format movie plays properly in VLC on my system even when I stress it moderately with Prime95

Again .... if MS actually made a Win10 store app that worked I would use it  ...... MS probably can't.

• Edited by Sirandar888 Sunday, November 5, 2017 7:33 PM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

There is no solution to this issue  ..... I actually did get my 1709 Win10 laptop to output Dolby Digital plus to my receiver  ...... so that is a big step forward ......  ATMOS won't work until Dolby and MS reach a deal and let it....

Doesn't matter DD plus is more than good enough for me  .....  I am still no 100% sure it is DD plus from win10 as the "ex" icon isn't lighting up on my receiver but it does sound like DD plus .... 

• Edited by Sirandar888 Monday, November 20, 2017 2:24 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 2:23 AM