none
Powershell V4 restrictions - please clarify! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

starting to work my way into the depth of Powershell programming I got stuck right at the beginning. Intended use is, primarily, automating administrative tasks for Windows (7) Workstations, Windows Servers and Microsoft Products like Sharepoint, Exchange and such. Part of the scripts would run locally, e.g. executed by user, autostart, gpo or scheduled task, part would be run remotely, the target machine normally is a Windows 2008 or 2012 server.

Flipping through the "Windows Management Framework 4.0 Release Notes" document, almost at the end on page 22 this cought my attention:

<snip>

Known Incompatibilities

WMF 4.0 has a similar set of known incompatibilities with existing applications to WMF 3.0. You should not install WMF 4.0 on servers that are running the following applications:

• System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (not including SP1)

• System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 (including SP1)

• Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

• Microsoft SharePoint 2013 and Microsoft SharePoint 2010

• Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

</snip>

Wow. I haven't checked the V3 doc yet, but looking at that list I wonder what the whole thing may be used for, since the above list is much like a who is who of all major Microsoft server software. But wait. Maybe it's just a misleading statement? Maybe I may not INSTALL the V4 on such a server, but nevertheless run scripts developed under V4 by copying them over or executing them remotely? May I, for instance, install V4 on a Windows 7 development workstation, and run the scripts against the server over the network with no hassles? Does - in client/server scenarios, Powershell require the same powershell version on server and client?

Thanks for clarification

Max

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:10 PM