Testing App-V Packages Locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've been trying to turn an msi package i made into an App-V package, but i seem to be doing something wrong.

The application i packaged has 5 prerequisites, the 3 primary ones are JRE 1.5 or higher, VC2005 and VC2010. When i first tried to convert and run it, with the prerequisites installed locally on my computer - it worked great.

The problem is, we intend to distribute this virtual application to all the users in the organization, therefore we want the prerequisites to be part of the Dynamic Suite. This is where my problems start. I managed to pack each of the prerequisites into separate msi files, convert them to virtual applications, and insert each of their sft files into the dynamic suite. However, when i try to run the AppVLauncher.exe it fails alerting that "The specified Application Virtualization Server could not be accessed" (4605F3-19D02E0A-10000002). Now, i read about the SFT-SOFTGRIDSERVER environment variable, i know i should change it, but unfortunately i don't know the name of the relevant App-V server yet. Meanwhile, I'd like to test the virtualized application locally, which is something i think is possible since, like i mentioned before - when i converted the main msi package and launched it on a host with the client and prerequisites installed on it, everything went great. 

As if to contradict this assumption, when i try to run the basic App-V now (the virtualized main msi package alone), i get an error saying there's no JRE under Q:\AppName\jre\bin\javaw.exe. It didn't use to do that. It might be worth mentioning that when i first launched the basic App-V, it was on my own computer (and it worked). the second time i tried launching it was on a VM i'm now using for the purpose of App-V testing.

Can anyone give me some pointers/directions/explain what i'm misunderstanding/doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

NYK

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi NYK22,

Can you give us a breakdown of what the applications hienarchy is. Which application is your primary, which are the secondary applications?

My guess though is that the Client is setup for streaming from a server but you don't have the server setup? Am I correct. If so for testing purposes maybe you should just generate an MSI and test it in standalone mode?

You can achieve this by modifying the registry to allowindependantfilestreaming=1

You should set Autload options to disabled also as otherwise it will try to reach the server and fail.

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How did you distribute the packages to the client? 
    /Znack
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi Znack,

Thanks for replying so fast!

I didn't distribute it to the client. All i did is create the App-V locally using InstallShield, and then run the AppVLauncher.exe file, again - locally.

Like i mentioned - first it worked, then it didn't :)

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

if you are creating a package using Installshield I would suggest posting the question in their forum.  
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by NYK22 Monday, March 21, 2011 2:28 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • I would if i knew it was InstallShield related.

From what i wrote so far, do you think this is the only issue with what i'm doing? It seems to me like there are other, much more substantial, things that are wrong with what i'm doing.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hello,

I would verify that no problems are caused by Installshield or try to repeat the issue using Microsoft products only 
    /Znack
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I'm not familiar with Microsoft's tools. Would it be too much if i asked you to refer me to a brief summary?
    Monday, March 21, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Hi NYK22,

Can you give us a breakdown of what the applications hienarchy is. Which application is your primary, which are the secondary applications?

My guess though is that the Client is setup for streaming from a server but you don't have the server setup? Am I correct. If so for testing purposes maybe you should just generate an MSI and test it in standalone mode?

You can achieve this by modifying the registry to allowindependantfilestreaming=1

You should set Autload options to disabled also as otherwise it will try to reach the server and fail.

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:07 PM