E2K7 to E2K10 migration - OAB issues RRS feed

• Question

•   Working through the final stages of a E2K7 to E2K10 migration.  I applied the Deafult e-mail policy and had several errors, most I was able to fix with no issues.  The errors below are giving me some issues and I cannot resolve them.  Searched a lot and found what I thought were several good solutiond but nothing worked.  Currently the primary mail server is Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 is online we are replicating public folders and have a few test users on the new 2010 server.  A litle history for help.  Original server was exchange 2003 and they migrated to exchange 2007  about 2 yrs ago, now we are migrating them to exchange 2010 to take advantage of UC with their Mitel IP Phone System.  I would like to clear up these errors before beging the final user migration but I cannot seem to get them resolved.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA
    Jim

Warning:
    The recipient "company.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB Version 2" is invalid and couldn't be updated.

Warning:
    The recipient "company.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB Version 3a" is invalid and couldn't be updated.

Warning:
    The recipient "company.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB Version 4" is invalid and couldn't be updated.

Warning:
    The recipient "company.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - \/o=ASSET\/cn=addrlists\/cn=oabs\/cn=Default " is invalid and couldn't be updated.

Warning:
    The recipient "company.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group" is invalid and couldn't be updated.

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

I would suggest you create a new OAB file with both Public folder and Web-based distribution method on the new server; and then update the mailbox database properties to point to the new OAB file as well as the new Public folder database.

Note: Don't forget to add public folder database replica between servers for the legacy Outlook client.

Fiona
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124339.aspx. To associate the new OAB file with the mailbox database, launch the properties of mailbox databas in EMC, switch to Client access tab, and change the OAB file as well as the public folder if necessary.

You may create a new OAB file and make it as default one. you may keep or remoe the existing OAB files. It will not be used if the databas properties have been updated.

Fiona
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:41 AM

All replies

• Monday, October 3, 2011 9:48 PM
  •   Currently using all three Outlook clients with a goal of being on 1 by then end of the year.  I am reviewing the link above and it seem like there are a lot of folks having this issue when migrating accross multiple versions of exchange.  Once this issue is resolved I have to figure out why some public folders are showing  no data available on this server after replication has been setup.  Others are replicating just fine.  Although I wonder if I should chase this issue first.

TIA,

Jim

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I would suggest you create a new OAB file with both Public folder and Web-based distribution method on the new server; and then update the mailbox database properties to point to the new OAB file as well as the new Public folder database.

Note: Don't forget to add public folder database replica between servers for the legacy Outlook client.

Fiona
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Fiona,

Can you point me to a good article to accomplish this please?  Also would I delete the all the OAB before or after creating new ones?

TIA,

Jim

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124339.aspx. To associate the new OAB file with the mailbox database, launch the properties of mailbox databas in EMC, switch to Client access tab, and change the OAB file as well as the public folder if necessary.

You may create a new OAB file and make it as default one. you may keep or remoe the existing OAB files. It will not be used if the databas properties have been updated.

Fiona
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:41 AM