none
BMR on primary, System state only on secondary? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about system state and transferring it offsite. I want to have BMR-backups available to my primary server and system state + volume backup to the secondary. This setup is necessary since the complete BMR-backups will allways be sent over a limited WAN-connection (5/5Mbit) and the system state will at least be a bit smaller compared to BMR. In conclusion: BMR on primary and system state to secondary.

Is there a way to only send system state offsite, not BMR including system state? Or is there another way to solve this issue?
    The primary needs BMR to do quick restores and the secondary is to be used for offsite disaster protection.

• Edited by Stuvning Monday, February 20, 2012 3:14 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:12 PM

Answers

• I double checked from a Secondary DPM server and it only allows you to select "System Protection" whatever is protected on the Primary DPM server under system protection being BMR and System State will be included. So in order to send only System State to secondary you would need to protect System State only of your protected server on the Primary DPM server. I have not run across a work around for this.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

i don't have a DPM machine in front of me but i think you can select which data you want to backup on your secondary then you can choose between system state and BMR.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I double checked from a Secondary DPM server and it only allows you to select "System Protection" whatever is protected on the Primary DPM server under system protection being BMR and System State will be included. So in order to send only System State to secondary you would need to protect System State only of your protected server on the Primary DPM server. I have not run across a work around for this.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:42 PM

Thanks for answering.

Well, that's unfortunate. Any other suggestions on how to solve this situation? Or is DPM unsuited for slow connections?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Buchatech is correct. As stated in the whitepaper here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:09 PM