none
Back to Basics RRS feed

• Question

• So a colleague asked a good question and it relates to something I commonly see in scripts, but can't really answer "why".

In powershell scripts, where I'm (foreach) looping through a series of file reads, I tend to precede the foreach statement with a $count =2 and after the foreach, close with a $count++

I can't really say I'm using that particular $count because I know *why*, just that it seems to be very common when iterating through a foreach loop, and frankly it works.

Searching for documentation on this I'm able to find information about "-count", but that appears to be a different thing entirely.

If you can point me to some basic information that explains this, I appreciate it.  Thanks very much!

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:34 PM

Answers

• $count is just the name of a variable.

If you iterate a collection with foreach, then you don't need to increment a counter, unless you have a reason for counting the iterations (for example, if you want to know how many iterations completed).

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:56 PM

All replies

• It would help to post a short example. From you description I see no purpose for $count.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:52 PM
  • $count is just the name of a variable.

If you iterate a collection with foreach, then you don't need to increment a counter, unless you have a reason for counting the iterations (for example, if you want to know how many iterations completed).

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:56 PM
  • In PowerShell we do it this way;

$x=dir c:\
    for($i=0;$i -lt $x.Count;$i++){
        $x[$i].Name
    }

But "foreach" is usually what we want.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, March 6, 2015 8:23 PM