Deleting DP question RRS feed

• Question

• We are doing a 2007 to 2012 migration.  I set up new server DPs for 2012 at each of our secondary sites and was replicating the packages from our Primary site over the WAN to the new DPs.  This will take a long time to replicate all packages so Im thinking of deleting the DPs from the 2012 site adding them as DPs to each of the 2007 secondary sites  and using the Copy Packages wizard to copy the packages from the old dps to the new DPs, then enable DP Sharing , upgrade the clients then upgrade the new server DPs to 2012.

My question is before deleting the 2012 DPs from the 2012 environment do I have to remove all of the packages already distributed to it?  If I just delete the DP will the DP be deleted from the package?  This was a problem in 2007 if you deleted a DP without removing the packages first.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:45 AM

Answers

• Removing a DP in 2012 automatically removes all associated content.
    I don't understand your plans in detail. Do you want to set up a 2012 DP on a existing 2007 site? That would not be supported. The only thing that comes close is DP sharing during a migration.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by willbar Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:38 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:21 AM

All replies

• Removing a DP in 2012 automatically removes all associated content.
    I don't understand your plans in detail. Do you want to set up a 2012 DP on a existing 2007 site? That would not be supported. The only thing that comes close is DP sharing during a migration.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by willbar Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:38 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:21 AM
  • I want to remove it as a 2012 DP and make it a 2007 DP sot that I can move the packages over without going over the WAN. Share it then upgrade it to 2012.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:38 PM
  • I deleted the 2012 DP in the console  and made it a 2007 DP and am copying packages over.  When the migration data gathering ran I looked in the Migmctrl file and noticed this Warning:

WARNING: [Worker]:                                 Distribution point ["Display=\\BRSCCM01\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=D01"]\\BRSCCM01\ is already in v5. Ignore it. SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 7/18/2013 7:43:45 PM 11944 (0x2EA8)
                                                                    WARNING: [Worker]:                                 Please check why this DP 'BRSCCM01.bose.com' is added both to v4 site and to v5 site. SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 7/18/2013 7:43:45 PM 11944 (0x2EA8)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      so it still has some remnants of the 2012 DP.  Can I just delete the Content Library or should I just let the files get deleted automatically.  It looks like files are gettting deleted slooowly.   I have to do this process on about 30 servers so Im wondering how I can clean the 2012 DP stuff off quicker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:38 AM