Disappaering icons? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, afther  instlling software on my new PC with W7. my icons dissappeared. How can I testore them?
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:01 PM

Answers

• Which software? What version of Windows 7 have you?

Try system restore>Start - write System Restore and restore to days before...

• Marked as answer by Azimut360 Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:34 PM
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:11 PM
  • When certain softwares are installed they make system calls to refresh all tha cached thumbnails.

This is done so that all new file associations are properly implemented. Your icons will reappear after a while windows will again cache them.

If this is not the then you can manually rebuild the by deleting the thumbnail cache as follows :-

My Computer > Right Click C: Drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Check Thumbnail Cache and OK > Confirm Delete Files

Then windows will regenerate thumbnails for your files as and when you will browse them in explorer

Ðrawin Kumar
    • Proposed as answer by Drawin Kumar Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:55 PM
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:53 PM
  • System Restore is not necessary as it is natual that system will take some time to regenerate the thumbnails

Ðrawin Kumar
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• Which software? What version of Windows 7 have you?

Try system restore>Start - write System Restore and restore to days before...

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:11 PM
  • When certain softwares are installed they make system calls to refresh all tha cached thumbnails.

This is done so that all new file associations are properly implemented. Your icons will reappear after a while windows will again cache them.

If this is not the then you can manually rebuild the by deleting the thumbnail cache as follows :-

My Computer > Right Click C: Drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Check Thumbnail Cache and OK > Confirm Delete Files

Then windows will regenerate thumbnails for your files as and when you will browse them in explorer

Ðrawin Kumar
    • Proposed as answer by Drawin Kumar Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:55 PM
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:53 PM
  • System Restore is not necessary as it is natual that system will take some time to regenerate the thumbnails

Ðrawin Kumar
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hello Drawin Kumar,

Thank you for your the reply, perhaps I must be more specific. Yes you are right the icons have returned, however only partly. The icons for the folders are still missing. And ofcourse I already tried a sytem restore too, to a earlier point in time. Without the hoped result.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Hello Jiri,

Thank you for your reply, it was Adobe Reader. And the systemrestore brought only a part of the icons back. I´m still have no folder icons in the start menu.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:20 PM