I am not sure if this goes here but i have a question about backing up from a system image RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I used the system image backup in windows 7 home premium.
    btw i backed it up to an external HD
    It made a folder with several subfolders after the backup and was about 55gigs
    Now it is next month and i added programs, updates etc and i want to make another image
    does it go over the existing image backup or does it create a new folder with new subfolders?
    I would like to understand this because i plan on purchasing a bigger HD and want to estimate how much I need

thanks
    robin
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You will find answers of your questions from the following article:

Learn more about system image backup

I included some information as below:

“During the first backup, the backup engine scans the source drive and copies only blocks that contain data into a .vhd file stored on the target, creating a compact view of the source drive. The next time a system image is created, only new and changed data is written to the .vhd file, and old data on the same block is moved out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage area.

We recommend that the size of the target disk should be at least 1.5 times of the size of the source drive(s) to allow enough space for storing older versions of backup. Network share and optical media, on the other hand, do not support shadow copy. Therefore only one system image per computer can be stored at a time (as the .vhd file). Any newer backup created will replace the older backup.”

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 6:14 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

According to my knowledge, you can create new image in the new hard drive. When you choose “create a system image”, it allows you to choose where to create this image, when you choose the same drive as before, only new and changed data is written to the .vhd file, and old data is moved out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage area. When you choose a new drive, a new image will be created. Please note, if you move the saved backup from it's original location to another location, then it will no longer be usable to do a restore with.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 6:15 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:52 AM

All replies

• also

Also when i get the bigger external HD and do another backup image since it will not see the first one will it make a new beginning one? or will it have a fit and look for the old one on the other smaller external HD- then what would I do?
    I did the first one just so i could see how it is done and to have something until I get a bigger external HD

thanks
    robin
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

“During the first backup, the backup engine scans the source drive and copies only blocks that contain data into a .vhd file stored on the target, creating a compact view of the source drive. The next time a system image is created, only new and changed data is written to the .vhd file, and old data on the same block is moved out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage area.

We recommend that the size of the target disk should be at least 1.5 times of the size of the source drive(s) to allow enough space for storing older versions of backup. Network share and optical media, on the other hand, do not support shadow copy. Therefore only one system image per computer can be stored at a time (as the .vhd file). Any newer backup created will replace the older backup.”

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 6:14 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    only it doesn't explain that if i go to a larger external hd because the old one is full what is going to happen since it will not see the old one because it is not on that HD.  Will it start a brand new one and next month if i decide to do another image backup will it just continue from there or will it balk and look for the old one on the other external HD and then what would i do?

robin
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

According to my knowledge, you can create new image in the new hard drive. When you choose “create a system image”, it allows you to choose where to create this image, when you choose the same drive as before, only new and changed data is written to the .vhd file, and old data is moved out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage area. When you choose a new drive, a new image will be created. Please note, if you move the saved backup from it's original location to another location, then it will no longer be usable to do a restore with.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 6:15 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

According to my knowledge, you can create new image in the new hard drive. When you choose “ create a system image”, it allows you to choose where to create this image, when you choose the same drive as before, only new and changed data is written to the .vhd file, and old data is moved out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage area. When you choose a new drive, a new image will be created. Please note, if you move the saved backup from it's original location to another location, then it will no longer be usable to do a restore with.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

great because all i want to do is make a brand new one on a new drive not move the old backup to the new drive
    thanks
    robin
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:27 PM
  • You are welcome :)
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:14 AM
  •  Has anyone published how to create a separate system partition to be shared by both OS, so we can dual boot xp and win 7 without backing up xp when we do a system image? 
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:23 AM