none
disable Skype using GPO

Question

• I need to disable access to Skype for all users.

We are using Office 2013 running on Windows 7.

Would enabling "prevent users from running Microsoft Lync" gpo will do the job?

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hello pob579,

You can use Applocker Configure an AppLocker Policy for Enforce Rules from a GPO as follows:

- Create a new rule on a GPO in this path: "Computer configuration\Windows Settings\Applicattion Control Policies\AppLocker\Executable Rules"
    - Select "Deny" action for this rule. User or group "Everyone" or the specific users as you wish.
    - On the next page select "Path" option, click on "Browse Files..." button
    - Select the path of the executable: "%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office15\lync.exe"
    - Enter the exceptions as you wish or leave it in blank
    - Put a name for this rule. Click on create and you are done.
    - You could or could not create the default rules as you wish.

VERY IMPORTANT!
    You must have the Service "Application Identity" running on the client machine in order to apply correctly.

I hope this information help you to reach your goal. :D

5ALU2 !
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hello pob579,

You can use Applocker Configure an AppLocker Policy for Enforce Rules from a GPO as follows:

- Create a new rule on a GPO in this path: "Computer configuration\Windows Settings\Applicattion Control Policies\AppLocker\Executable Rules"
    - Select "Deny" action for this rule. User or group "Everyone" or the specific users as you wish.
    - On the next page select "Path" option, click on "Browse Files..." button
    - Select the path of the executable: "%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office15\lync.exe"
    - Enter the exceptions as you wish or leave it in blank
    - Put a name for this rule. Click on create and you are done.
    - You could or could not create the default rules as you wish.

VERY IMPORTANT!
    You must have the Service "Application Identity" running on the client machine in order to apply correctly.

I hope this information help you to reach your goal. :D

5ALU2 !
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 7:02 PM
  • interesting suggestion... Never used AppLocker.

does the gpo that I asked about in initial question will do the job?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:19 PM
  • I could not find the policy that you suggest, is in a custom package for Office/Lync of administrative templates?

Could you paste the whole path for this policy?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:29 PM
  • This info from DonPick is very informational and can help you towards what you are looking for.

Lync/Skype 2016 GPO to disable chat logging 
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c86c336-7eaf-4644-937f-5d4746768027/lyncskype-2016-gpo-to-disable-chat-logging?forum=winserverDS

5ALU2 !
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:56 PM
  • I could not find the policy that you suggest, is in a custom package for Office/Lync of administrative templates?

Could you paste the whole path for this policy?
    "Prevent users from running Microsoft Lync" is included in Office 2013 Administrative Template files (ADMX, ADML) under:

Computer Configuration or User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Lync 2013\Microsoft Lync Feature Policies

You can configure this policy setting under both "Computer Configuration" and "User Configuration", but the policy setting under "Computer Configuration" takes precedence.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 07, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Tested. Yes it prevents Skype for Business (Lync.exe) from starting without any notification. 

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:41 AM