none
BCWP is not calculated correctly when using Physical % complete and remaining work is zero and actual work is zero RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with BCWP calculation in MS Project 2010, if you add a task and baseline it, then for some reason, you didn't work on this task and should earn all its effort. If you make physical percent complete 100% and set remaining work to zero, the BCWP is not correct, sometimes shows zero and sometimes shows 16 hours of a task that its baseline is 80 hours.

Can someone advise please?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Note that the BCWP iscalculated based on the status date. Thus depending where you task is located compared to the status date, the BCWP calculation may differ.

More precisely, it will be the %complete times the baseline cost till the status date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 11:08 AM
  • I believe this is true when using %Complete as EV method and not Physical %Complete
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:41 PM
  • It behaves the same either with physical%complete or %complete.

Whatever the % (physical% or %), if the status date is in the past, you'll have a BCWP equal to 0. Please provide us with the exact steps and task parameter so we could detect wheither or not it is a bug.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Thank you so much for your reply. So, is there a way to calculate EV regardless of the status date?

The situation I am in is as follows, I planned a task that occurs next week, but this task is not needed anymore in this week, so I should earn all its effort. Given what you said, I can only earn the effort next week and not today. 

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:03 PM
  • You're more than welcome.

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding the BCWP which is the budgeted cost of work performed, meaning the value you earned based on the budget cost (baseline cost) of the completed work. BCWP uses your original cost estimates saved with a baseline and your actual work to status date to show whether the actual costs incurred are on budget.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:36 PM