none
Migrating legacy storage to Modern Backup Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of upgrading my DPM server to DPM 2016 and Server 2016.  Once I have that done, I need to migrate my legacy storage to modern backup storage.  I can see the basic directions here: Migrating Legacy Storage to Modern Backup Storage

I will create a new volume to add to DPM storage that will be formatted with ReFS by DPM.  I need to keep my old replicas and and recovery points until the recovery points expire.  According to the technet article, I need to stop protection on my data sources and create a new protection group.  Does that new protection group automatically use the newly created Volume I added?  Will DPM 2016 automatically use any of the legacy storage disks for new protection groups?

I want to make sure everything going forward uses the new volume formatted with ReFS.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:01 PM

All replies

• You need to recreate the protection groups and while doing so you simply select the newly created volume. After that DPM will migrate (copy) the data to the new volume. It's as simple as it sounds, just takes a while.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Yeah, it takes a really LONG time!  I've been migrating data sources for six days now and it is still going.  Once all the data has been migrated to the new volumes, will the old storage pool disks be marked as free, empty, or stay as they are?  Since it sounds like the data is being copied from them to the new volumes, how will I know when they are able to be removed?
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Old data will stay. It has to stay so you can still recover from older protection points. We keep our data for 28 days, so i waited until 30 days after the migration to remove the data and the legacy storage from DPM.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:51 AM