Move SCCM 2012 R2 from one VLAN to another VLAN RRS feed

• Question

• We have to move our CAS, one of the Primary site, IBCM server, and SCUP server from remote data center VLAN to different VLAN (Same as distribution point). We are cloning the servers from Data center and planning to deploy them in the main VLAN. We are planning to keep the same name to avoid any configuration changes, site codes for other Primary site and several distribution points. Please let me know what other points I should consider,

How will it affect the IBCM clients, clients in VLAN, OSD, Deployments for software center etc?

I have ran the back up and store the back up at different site. 

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:40 PM

Answers

• These are VMWare machines. We are cloning them using VMWare console and then we will be using same clone of the machine to bring up the SCCM sites in different VLAN. We will be keeping same name, only IP will, DNS will change. 

Based on what you have stated above, no that will not work. You can't have two computer with the same name within AD. You can't change AD environments once CM12 is installed.

Now if you mean that you clone a "turn off" CM12 VM, then "only" turn on the new CM12 VM, then yes that will work but not just move the VM? Why go through all the extra steps?

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:10 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2015 8:25 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by clone them? What exactly are you trying to do? Just move them ore what?

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:53 PM
  • These are VMWare machines. We are cloning them using VMWare console and then we will be using same clone of the machine to bring up the SCCM sites in different VLAN. We will be keeping same name, only IP will, DNS will change. 
    Monday, June 29, 2015 8:14 PM

Based on what you have stated above, no that will not work. You can't have two computer with the same name within AD. You can't change AD environments once CM12 is installed.

Now if you mean that you clone a "turn off" CM12 VM, then "only" turn on the new CM12 VM, then yes that will work but not just move the VM? Why go through all the extra steps?

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:10 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2015 8:25 PM