HP Storage Management Pack Conflicts with Network Monitoring SNMP RRS feed

• Question

• The HP Storage management pack that I installed requires starting the Windows SNMP services, which creates a conflict with SNMP used for SCOM network monitoring.  I am spinning up a second SCOM mangement server so I can split these functions. What would you recommend to split these functions across the two management servers?  Uninstall the HP Storage Management Pack, and install on the new server?  Or move the network monitoring to the second server?

Thank you for your help!

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi, you should create a dedicated network resource pool and exclude MS on which default Windows SNMP service runs.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Does the HP Storage pack support resource pools? What I've found with these 3rd party packs that implement connector services is they do not provide true HA via SCOM resource pools - they are standalone systems with a connector service. This is true for the NetApp (DataONTAP) pack, and it's a huge disappointment.

Vendors do this because they have an API, and they think the only way to implement discovery and monitoring in SCOM is to create a service that accesses the API - and then the service is basically a collector in this case, and typically has a handful of rules (sometimes just one rule) that scrape events on the management server and they are misinterpreted to be alerts coming from some instance.

I turn green when I run into this type of problem, because all this can be accomplished with native modules or managed code that are designed to work very well with SCOM.

I know this doesn't answer your question - it's more a way for me to express my distain for these type of packs.

Jonathan Almquist | SCOMskills, LLC (http://scomskills.com)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi, you should create a dedicated network resource pool and exclude MS on which default Windows SNMP service runs.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Does the HP Storage pack support resource pools? What I've found with these 3rd party packs that implement connector services is they do not provide true HA via SCOM resource pools - they are standalone systems with a connector service. This is true for the NetApp (DataONTAP) pack, and it's a huge disappointment.

Vendors do this because they have an API, and they think the only way to implement discovery and monitoring in SCOM is to create a service that accesses the API - and then the service is basically a collector in this case, and typically has a handful of rules (sometimes just one rule) that scrape events on the management server and they are misinterpreted to be alerts coming from some instance.

I turn green when I run into this type of problem, because all this can be accomplished with native modules or managed code that are designed to work very well with SCOM.

I know this doesn't answer your question - it's more a way for me to express my distain for these type of packs.

Jonathan Almquist | SCOMskills, LLC (http://scomskills.com)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:11 AM