Create and monitor synthetic web transactions when management servers cannot connect to the internet. RRS feed

• Question

• I have SCOM 1807 installed and I am being asked to setup synthetic web transactions to certain websites.  The problem I am having is that the SCOM Management servers do not have access to the internet and therefore when I do a test it fails.  Note that I am setting up the monitor from a SCOM console on a workstation that has internet.  The monitor test fails even though I select a watcher node server that does in fact have access to the internet. If I do a web Availability Monitor instead and select a server with internet access, the monitor works. I tested the same monitor in a SCOM 2012 environment where the MS has access to the internet at it worked.   Does anyone know of a way to get the Synthetic transaction Monitor to actually use another server for its internet access? 
    Friday, October 26, 2018 1:40 PM

Answers

• Indeed it won't fail when management server has access to internet, that's expected.

"Where to monitor from" and "watcher node" are basically the same thing. As I said earlier, the only difference is in the wizard : it will fail if MS doesn't have access internet, but monitoring will be ran from the watcher node and therefore will work successfully regardless of the wizard's test state.

Monday, October 29, 2018 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What kind of web server are we monitoring? Is it Skype for Business? If it is not SfB Server, could you help to provide the screenshots of the detailed failure for further analysis.

If this is for SfB Server, for the watcher node, besides the configuration in operations manager, there is extra steps in Skype for Business server. For details, we may refer to:

Monitoring Skype for Business Server 2015 with SCOM 2012 R2 / SCOM 2016 (Watcher Node)
    http://www.garethjones294.com/monitoring-skype-for-business-server-2015-with-scom-2012-r2-scom-2016-watcher-node-2/

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 29, 2018 4:22 AM
  • Hi, we have websites that we access that may or may not be hosted by us.  We would like the monitors to go and do something. For example, go out sign in and report back.  This is setup using the Web Application Transaction Monitoring. As an example, we would want to go google.com and do something.  Since our management servers cannot go out to the internet, the test fails.  The Web Application Availability Monitor does work since you can select a server to host the monitoring.  Therefore, we select a server that has internet access and it works. The  Transaction Monitor only seems to allow a "Node Watcher" but that doesn't seem to work. 
    Monday, October 29, 2018 11:49 AM
  • There is no need for the MS to access the internet, only the monitoring node needs it.

Indeed the test during the wizard will fail, but it doesn't matter, monitoring will still work afterwards.

If it doesn't, you have an other issue elsewhere...

Monday, October 29, 2018 11:56 AM
  •  The wizard tests do not fail in our environment where our Management Server has access to the internet.  So that is what put us off.  It's interesting that the two types of monitors are similar (Availability and Transaction) but the options are so different.  The  Availability has a tab that specifically says " Where to monitor from ", where the other says "Watcher Node" . What does SCOM consider a watcher node? Why do the wizard tests works with Availability and not with the transaction? 
    Monday, October 29, 2018 12:01 PM
  • Indeed it won't fail when management server has access to internet, that's expected.

"Where to monitor from" and "watcher node" are basically the same thing. As I said earlier, the only difference is in the wizard : it will fail if MS doesn't have access internet, but monitoring will be ran from the watcher node and therefore will work successfully regardless of the wizard's test state.

Monday, October 29, 2018 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with CyrAz. These websites you want to monitor, can they be tested for validation of alert?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:07 PM