Zone transfer between 2003 and 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am new in windows servers and I am studying about it , While doing practical of DNS, I am unable to transfer dns zones from  server 2008 to server 2003. Server 2008 has installed AD and DNS, 2003 server also have installed DNS but it is just connected to 2008 and its not part of domain.

Is it important to make secondary or additional domain controller to 2003 server  of 2008 sever before transferring dns zones?
    Friday, March 20, 2015 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that it is an AD-integrated zone.

An AD Integrated is stored in the AD database, and the zone will replicate to other domain controllers within the same replication scope automatically as part of the AD replication process. By default, AD integrated zones are configured to not allow zone transfers. Allowing zone transfers is an option provided to support non-DC DNS servers, BIND or any other name brand DNS server that you want to allow zone transfers to a secondary on those servers.

In your case, if you want to make the Windows Server 2003 as an additional DC, then zone transfer is not needed. If not, you can configure zone transfer and add the IP address of the Windows Server 2003 to the zone transfer tab in the properties of the zone in DNS console.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:17 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 8:05 AM