Archive RRS feed

• Question

• Office 2019 on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

I have someone with two Archive (folders) pst files both showing in Outlook. Both have data in them, some date was auto archived and some manually moved int the "a" archive folder.

How can I combine these archive folders? 

I could manually move data from one to the other, but, if there are duplicates will they be duplicated when moved or overwritten?

Would prefer not to have duplicates.

Also if a folder that has been archived is then deleted form the inbox will it remain in the archive?

Friday, March 13, 2020 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

>> With two Archive (folders) pst files both showing in Outlook
    Do you mean that you have two archive files(.pst) and you need to merge them into one without duplicates?
    If so,  please try the following steps and see if it works:

1. Create a brand-new blank PST file via Home > New Items > More Items > Outlook Data Files(like screenshots.)
    2. Head to File > Open & Export > Import > Import from another program or file
    3. Choose the PST file you need to import with “Do not import duplicates checked” like below
    4. Repeat 2 and 3 to import another PST file

>> If a folder that has been archived is then deleted form the inbox will it remain in the archive
    As I know, messages which were archived would be moved to the archive file(.pst) and disappear from your mail list. If the "archive" you mentioned here means export, deleting messages from the mail list will not affect the messages in the PST file as well.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>> With two Archive (folders) pst files both showing in Outlook
    Do you mean that you have two archive files(.pst) and you need to merge them into one without duplicates?
    If so,  please try the following steps and see if it works:

1. Create a brand-new blank PST file via Home > New Items > More Items > Outlook Data Files(like screenshots.)
    2. Head to File > Open & Export > Import > Import from another program or file
    3. Choose the PST file you need to import with “Do not import duplicates checked” like below
    4. Repeat 2 and 3 to import another PST file

>> If a folder that has been archived is then deleted form the inbox will it remain in the archive
    As I know, messages which were archived would be moved to the archive file(.pst) and disappear from your mail list. If the "archive" you mentioned here means export, deleting messages from the mail list will not affect the messages in the PST file as well.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 7:59 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Just did this it seems to have worked, but the new Archive file is the same size as the smaller of the two original.

I re named and kept the old archive files. Only time will tell if I have everything.

thanks

Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:05 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.
    I’m glad to see that your issue has been resolved.

>> But the new Archive file is the same size as the smaller of the two original.
    To check if there is any problems with the new PST file, it is suggested to open your PST files in Outlook and compare the number of messages between the new PST and the original smaller PST to see if there is any difference. Also, backing up data like you did is a good practice which could help avoid loss.

By the way, would you mind marking my reply as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread?
    Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, March 20, 2020 2:22 AM