none
Create Project plan in existing project site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have create a project site by going to sitecontent and create subsite with "project Site" template. now i want to create or associate project / project plan with already created project site.

pls guide how i create project plan in already created project site or associates project plan with project site.

Thx

iffi

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 11:32 AM

All replies

• iffi --

Why?  I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish by creating the Project Site initially.  Why don't you simply publish the project for the first time and let Project Online create the Project Site for you automatically?  Please explain and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

my requirement is for example, we just start working on some idea/project. need a workplace to discuss, share document etc related to that specific idea / project. this idea/project may not be materialized to become actual project so will not have any project plan.

but we want to record / digitize all discussion, documents, issues related to that idea.

secondly if that idea/project gets materialized so we just need to create project plan and associate with project discussion previously done.

as u advice simply publish project plan which create project site, in that case i have list of project which not materialized and not have any project plan.

pls guide what could be best solution to manage this requirement.

Thx

iffi

Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

I quite agree with Dale. What you are talking about is an ideation process and Project does handle this ideation process with a specific fonctionnality designed for that.

Please find the ideation process detailled below. Basically you use a SharePoint list to record your ideas and then you can convert ideas into projects mapping sharepoint columns with enterprise custom fields.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2012/11/05/demand-management-and-ideation-in-microsoft-project-online/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:05 AM
  • I think I get it

You could create an EPT for 'ideas' which would create a project site and basic project detail pages. You can also make it so the project plan is blank, i.e. doesn't use a specific template

Once you think this idea might turn into a project you could change the project type?

I can see that the proper process is to have a list and convert one of those items to a project - using the mapping functionality. But I can also see that you might need a workspace for the idea. Are you in an Office 365 environment? You could use Teams?

Monday, February 17, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Indeed this is also a solution (having a dedicated EPT for ideas) but I wouldn't recommend it. When you change EPT once the project is created, you don't change the project template since the project is already created, thus you loose the ability to have a specific WBS. Moreover you would need to link the 2 projects (early study and project). I think going with an ideation sharepoint list would be better. Of course the documentation management aspect has to be adressed but it seems more relevant.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, February 17, 2020 1:40 PM