none
Redirected and offline folders move to a new domain

Question

• Hi

We're in a process of merging one local domain do a new (existing) one, that is on a different network (different LAN).

Since all users in existing domain have GPO applied to do redirected folders (it redirects my documents) to a server and have also offline files feature enabled (my documents are cached localy on a comptuer and than sinchronized to server when users log-on and log-off).

In a process of joining computers to a new domain, we'll connect all existing computers from DOMAIN A to a new LAN (switch)  that is only accessed by DOMAIN B.  

Can someone please explain me what is the best procedure to re-establish redirected/offline files (my documents) on all computers that well be joined to a new domain ?

My guess will be :

- configure same GPO policy settings for redirected folders on a new domain and assign it to computers that will be joined to a new domain

- create the same shared folder and permissions on a server in a new domain (domain B) and copy all users subfolders from server in old domain (A) to a server in a new domain (B).

- remove all computers from old domain and join them to a new domain (B)

- GPO will apply and synchronize all users documents from server back to their computer 'cache'.

Are these right steps or are we doing something wrong ?

Thank you all in advance for suggestions.

Mike

Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have the removal policy configured as I mentioned above then when the users are moved out from GPO applicability then the documents should be synced back to local user profile. Then you can create the new users and copy the files and re-acl, and get a new GPO in place to redirect, but that is some work to do and not very pleasant.When the new users will login in new profile appended with .domain name gets created because it's same username.

Regards,

Calin

Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The redirected folders GPO is user based as far as i know, so it applies to user objects within AD. Depending how is was configured the Policy Removal to move the folders back to the user local profile or to keep them on the redirected server. You could use the "redirect the folder back to the local profile when policy is removed", this way when the the suer is moved to a different OU where the GPO does not apply the folders should be synced back to the local user profile.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786749(v=ws.10).aspx

I believe the best way to do it is to use AD trust between the 2 domains and use ADMT tool to migrate users to the new domain and migrate the server and translate security.Then link the similar redirection GPO to the new domain OU where your users where migrated. I am not totally sure this will work without any issue, but if you create new users to the new domain that is going to be a new SID/profiles and the server where you keep the redirected files would need re-ACL to get the new permissions in place. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Calin

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi Calin

Thank's for reply. We can't do AD trust, the only option is to create new users in a domain B and than re-create all permissions.

So in my opinion option is to remove GPO for redirected folders, simply copy all users documents from server to a new server in domain B and recreate GPO for redirected and offline folders ? 

Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

If you have the removal policy configured as I mentioned above then when the users are moved out from GPO applicability then the documents should be synced back to local user profile. Then you can create the new users and copy the files and re-acl, and get a new GPO in place to redirect, but that is some work to do and not very pleasant.When the new users will login in new profile appended with .domain name gets created because it's same username.

Regards,

Calin

Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:31 PM