slow when opening devices and printers RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

a few of my users are saying windows 7 is running quite slow, they notice the slowness when doing things like opening devices and printers. The green progress bar seems to take an age to complete and display the devices (granted there are quite a few network printers but I still think 15 secs is too long)

When devices and printers is opened I noticed in the task manager that the following process was waking up most of the cpu power.

Devicedisplayobjectprovider.exe

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I suspect the issue is caused by incorrect driver or third party software. Please try the following suggestions to check the result.

1. Update the latest drivers from manufacturer's website such as network adapter driver, printer driver.
    2. Disable security software and perform clean boot.
    3. Add the network printer as a local printer for a test.
    4. Set Bluetooth Support Service to start automatically.

If the issue persists, I suggest using Process Monitor to capture the process.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:31 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:36 AM
  • You need some troubleshooting techniques on how to upgrade your machine. I would rather suggest to subscribe the helpfull tips. Then follow the reference guide.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/How-to-upgrade-the-55d96898

Hope it is helpfull to you!!

Thnkas 

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:31 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:47 AM
  • thanks for the suggestions - I will connect and take a look this morning
    Monday, September 24, 2012 9:57 AM
  • I would also recommend to update the printer drivers they are most likely out of date or not for that OS. Before you add them back to the system you may need to remove the drivers that are already on the system how to remove the drivers from local computer -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Niki

Niki Han

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi..it happened to me too after I installed Telstra Broadband Manager (telstraUCM.exe) and when I uninstall this program my laptop starts to work properly again and Devices and printers opens straight away without any slow green progress bar. I dont know why this is. I reinstalled the Telstra Broadband manager and the fault came back...everything slowed down and task manager shows TelstraUCM.exe as using 100% CPU...why is this? Thanks
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:37 AM