In which registry key Windows is storing Document Building Blocks Folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to put, at my program install, a MyBuildingBlocks.dotx file in the folder where Office (2007-2016) keep the normal "Building Blocks.dotx".

The folder should be in the folder:

"C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks" + Language numbers + version number

Is there a registry key where this folder full name is stored?

Thanks, Lauro

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Lauro2,

This forum(Word for Developers) is for development issues related to Word Object Model and your problem is more related to Word product feature, so I would move this thread into Word IT Pro Discussions.
    Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Hi Lauro,

I'm not aware of a registry key that stores the full name of the folder/path. As you already know, the default path should be as follows according to your Office version and language version.

"C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks" + Language numbers + version number

May I know what you want to do with the full folder path? Is it possible to get the full folder path via a script?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:45 AM
  • In the English language version of Word these files are in the following (language-specific) folders:

Windows XP Location:
    c:\Documents and Settings\{your username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\

Windows Vista & 7-10 Location:
    c:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\

If you have Office set for a different language than English, you will have a different numbered folder.

Why not load it as an Add-In in the Startup Folder? It will give you everything that placing in the Building Blocks folder would unless you want your building blocks to be language-specific.

The registry key for the startup path is version-specific and only set if the user selected a StartUp folder. For Word 2013 on my system it is:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options\STARTUP-PATH

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Thank Steve for you answer.

I need to know the Document Building Blocks location because I need to copy in it and remove from it MyBB.dotx with my BB that are language specific.

In other words, I developed a model dotm that is unique for all languages. The BB used are languages specific and are in different (language specific) model dotx. When the user change language I need to remove the old language dotx from Document Building Blocks folder and copy the new language one.

By, Lauro

Friday, August 31, 2018 8:47 AM