SCCM 2012 SP1 DP Limit question. RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a new design for our SCCM 2012 SP1 deployment\migration from SCCM 2007.  Our current setup is a single server with the Database, Site Server, Mp, PXE, OSD etc roles all on one box.  We have additional distribution points for content.  In SCCM 2007 sometimes when we updated Boot image drivers this would hang up the PXE service.  To alleviate the load on our primary site server,  for 2012 we would like to break off some of the roles such as PXE and OSD

Our site has a little over 4000 clients.  We are looking at implementing a Primary site with two DP's.  One for software distribution and PXE, Images and Software packages.  The Other DP will be for Multicasting Images.  What does the 4000 client limit for DP mean for me when setup in this environment?  Is there perhaps a better way to approach this then with DP's?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:40 PM

Answers

• You idea of splitting OSD and PXE off from normal deployment services is sound I think. Keep in mind that you won't push software to 4000 clients at once... or at least I hope not. You'll do a certain amount of staggering, which will relieve the burden somewhat. The nice thing about SCCM in this case is that your decision on this is flexible and you can always upgrade or add servers if the capacity doesn't meet your needs.

I'll add here that your decision to have a distribution point is also influenced by the geographical location of your clients. If all of your clients have a fast link back to the DP, you can probably go with your proposed configuration and see how things stand up.

• Proposed as answer by Nigel Finn Monday, February 18, 2013 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:24 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:38 PM