none
Creating Windows 8.1 master image with MDT 2013,cannot capture .WIM RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with creating a master image with Windows 8.1 and MDT 2013.  

I have followed extensive tutorials on how to create a master image using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit. my goal is to have a fully configured windows 8.1 image which I can deploy through Windows Deployment Services. I have been relatively successful thus far, except for one issue I have run into, which is successfully capturing this image as a .WIM.
    I have successfully created a task sequence and the task sequence is able to run all the way through until the final step. Essentially the task sequence is supposed to install Windows and Office, then suspend the task sequence to allow me to make customisations to the start screen and desktop background, and I simply click resume task sequence, and the task sequence should sysprep reboot and capture the machine image as a .WIM file.

the task sequence is able to sysprep the machine, but upon rebooting it boots into out of box experience, and does not create a wim file. I receive an error saying: "cannot find script file C:\ltibootstrap.Vbs" after the machine completes OOBE 

I am using Windows Server 2012 r2, creating my Master machine image using hyper-v, and my master image is running Windows 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, December 8, 2014 9:20 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure about the sequence of steps here. Try taking your captured.wim file and deploying it using MDT again, or at least to another machine. MDT sometimes leaves extra files around on the captured machine, so simply rebooting it may not get a accurate test results.

IF you are getting the ltibootstrap.vbs it is most likely because there is a stray unattend.xml file somewhere in your image that is looking for this file. Crack open your Wim file and search for any unattend.xml files.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:04 PM

All replies

• Can you check to see if you have any pending reboots on your system?  I've experienced a bug in the past where a pending reboot can break the capture process of a Windows 8.1 system.  What I did as a workaround to the issue was to add a restart to the task sequence, before the sysprep step, to ensure that all file renames and restarts were handled from the Office install.  You can validate this by searching the property SysprepPendingFileRenameOperations in the logs.  On my logs it showed that it had pending rename ops as it went into capture, and that's how I caught this issue.  Hope this helps you.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:55 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:40 PM
  • I'm not sure about the sequence of steps here. Try taking your captured.wim file and deploying it using MDT again, or at least to another machine. MDT sometimes leaves extra files around on the captured machine, so simply rebooting it may not get a accurate test results.

IF you are getting the ltibootstrap.vbs it is most likely because there is a stray unattend.xml file somewhere in your image that is looking for this file. Crack open your Wim file and search for any unattend.xml files.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:04 PM