none
TPM (randomly) not recognized by TPM.MSC RRS feed

• Question

• I updated my Alienware 15 R2 up to Creators Update (15th of April) but after many reboots everything was Okay.

Next morning I turned on PC and I got an info to enter a BitLocker key.

I turned off PC, because I thought it is a small problem, but then I had an issue with BCD and Boot.

I decrypted system drive with a key on recovery mode and repaired Boot issue.

I tried to decrypt system drive again and enable automatic unlock of rest of drives, but I got an info of CRC issue. I decrypted all the rest of drives then and decided to clear TPM module, but it was unavailable.

I rebooted few times and TPM appear in TPM Management Console. After successful cleaning of module I tried to set it again, but it disappear. I tried many times, but it is in Device Manager and working, but not on System itself.

So I can only say that I can reverse system to previous state, but it's not a solution.

Now - everything is decrypted and TPM is enabled. Waiting for a solution. 

..: Best Regards - Artur (Krupers) Krupa ::.

• Edited by Krupers Friday, May 19, 2017 12:11 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Krupers,

According to current information, I suggest we can first re-initialize TPM again and check this issue.

Once you encounter this issue, please check the status of TPM device in Device manage -> System devices, if there is any warning button, we may need to update the device driver for TPM.

For further troubleshooting, we need to check the TPM log: Please upload onto OneDrive and share the link for our research.

To enable TPM logging:
    1. From an elevated command prompt, run the following commands:
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Tpm /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Tpm /v LogFileMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0x10000004 /f
    reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Tpm /v FileMax  /f
    reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Tpm /v FileCounter  /f
    2. Reboot the machine.
    3. Run the test.
    4. From an elevated command prompt,
    Change to the directory '%SystemRoot%\System32\LogFiles\WMI’
    Temporarily stop the TPM driver logging and flush the buffer: 'logman stop tpm -ets'
    5. Log files start with 'tpm*' from '%SystemRoot%\System32\LogFiles\WMI'

To disable TPM logging, from an elevated command prompt, type:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Tpm /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:23 AM
    Owner
  • I did what you asked me - please send me a message to give you a link for that file on my OneDrive. 

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Please refer to this guide to upload and share the file:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

Paste the link back here.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 26, 2017 6:42 AM
    Owner
  • Please refer to this guide to upload and share the file:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

Paste the link back here.

Here is it:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqCGPkg7E9X8l8xV487NKutTTTvS5A

Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

I have noticed this error message:

19526 [0] 0004.0130::05/25/17-21:08:07.6302431 [drv] Unknown_cxx00 TpmStack::Tpm20SubmitInternalCommand() -  ERROR tpm-stack.cpp(1617) TpmStack::Tpm20SubmitInternalCommand:TPM internal command execution failed.
    19527 [0] 0004.0130::05/25/17-21:08:07.6302439 [drv] tpmek_srk_cpp1476 WindowsKeyCreation_SubThread() -  ERROR tpmek_srk.cpp(1476) WindowsKeyCreation_SubThread:TPM driver SRK/EK creation sub-thread: SRK creation failed: NTSTATUS 0xc0000001(STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
    19528 [0] 0004.0130::05/25/17-21:08:07.6302442 [drv] Unknown_cxx00 Tpm20ReadPublicEk() -  INFORMATION tpm20-commands.cpp(1801) Tpm20ReadPublicEk:Issue ReadPublic(TPMW8_PERSISTENT_EK_HANDLE) via internal command.

Please know that The storage root key (SRK which is failed to create) is embedded in the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) security hardware. It is used to protect TPM keys created by applications, so that these keys cannot be used without the TPM.

Considering that this error could be caused by driver or hardware itself.

Let's update the latest motherboard driver from the manufacturer's website to check this issue:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-15/drivers/advanced

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:26 AM
    Owner
  • Uhm... I downloaded newest possible driver on that website but it not changed anything.
    No newest driver that I already have installed so I have no idea what to do now.

I am sure that module in not hardware destroyed, because I is working properly up to random restart.

Maybe I have to uninstall something before I install again? But what?

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

BIOS is the basic firmware work between hardware and OS, please also update it to the version released on 15 May 2017:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04283545M/1/AW15A08.EXE

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.If the driver is all updated, but the issue still persists, let's try to repair Windows to avoid the cause of Windows system files.

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade without losing
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:13 AM
    Owner
  • Problem is that this BIOS id for Alienware 15 R1, mine is 15 R2... For this machine there is no new BIOS...

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Let's do more research on this issue and response you later. 

BTW, have you tried the system repair in my last post?

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:50 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, I tried. I downloaded it the way I saw on guide - system made an image and after this downloaded all updates. Then is rebooted PC and installed it with saving all files and documents. After few reboots,
    system shows TPM and managements options in TPM.MSC, sometimes it says again that module at least 1.2 is not available in the system.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:23 PM
  • Hi Krupers,

At this time, please open Device Manager on the device, and then under System devices, uninstall the Trusted Platform Module driver.

Then you do a hardware scan, the TPM will be detected as a security device and will use the Microsoft driver. Additionally, the TPM will now be listed under Security Devices as "Trusted Platform Module 1.2."

Let's see if there is any update on this issue, once this issue happen again, collect the latest TPM log for our research again.

Friday, June 2, 2017 5:12 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Kate,

I enabled first logging and tried to uninstall driver, but it was only an option to uninstall device.
    I deleted it and then system told me to reboot a PC.
    I rebooted PC and then in the Device Manager I saw again TPM module and in 2.0 version.

There is no driver update on website, on Windows Update - just not available. The newest
    is "already installed on system".

I attached newest file under this link (old one file in in folder "Old").

Friday, June 2, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Hi, 

Still get this error: 

[0] 0004.0130::06/02/17-23:40:46.6044850 [drv] Unknown_cxx00 WindowsKeyCreation_SubThread() -  ERROR tpmek_srk.cpp(1476) WindowsKeyCreation_SubThread:TPM driver SRK/EK creation sub-thread: SRK creation failed: NTSTATUS 0xc0000001(STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
    [0] 0004.0130::06/02/17-23:40:46.6044854 [drv] Unknown_cxx00 Tpm20ReadPublicEk() -  INFORMATION tpm20-commands.cpp(1801) Tpm20ReadPublicEk:Issue ReadPublic(TPMW8_PERSISTENT_EK_HANDLE) via internal command.

I will discuss with other senior support about this issue and give you update later. 

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:33 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Krupers, 

After do more research on the TPM log, we consider it could be incompatible issue. 

Have you contact DELL support to confirm if the devices can be compatible with Windows 10 RS2? 

Also, let me check your setupapi.dev.log under C:\Windows\INF, and please upload onto OneDrive again for my research. 

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:01 AM
    Owner
  • File uploaded into that folder as above.

I also found files:
    - setupapi.upgrade.log
    - setupapi.offline.20170318_140323.log
    - setupapi.offline.log
    - setupapi.setup.log

Do you need them too?

PS - I contacted Dell and they suggested me to... reinstall whole system O.o
    C'mon.. there is for sure a solution... I am waiting for you Kate then...

I have no time to reinstall EVERYTHING...

• Edited by Krupers Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Okay. I reinstalled whole system with deleting all partitions from official MS Image
    (using Media Creation Tool) and... TPM is again randomly recognized by system.

I have to add, that when I noticed that problem, I reverted to previous build and
    Anniversary Update worked perfectly without any issues like this...

Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Yes, yes.. finally I have something different as an error.
    I reinstalled system, reinstalled all drivers and... have Error 10.
    Something like protocol error between device and driver!

I tried to uninstall driver, device... still after reboot have this error now.

System log shows something like this (it's a translation, because I have
    Polish version of system): TPM driver module found irrecoverable issue
    of TPM module, which not allows to use TPM for encryption of data.
    To get a support, contact with computer manufacturer.

UPDATE:
    I put original SSD M.2 I purchesed with PC (it was small so I never used it
    and just before PC first time start up - I removed it from PC and put
    bigger drive. It was first version of Windows 10 (pre Anniversary).

I put SSD M.2 inside, enabled TPM and... system installed with originally
    designed drivers etc. I configured account and everything, but... TPM
    information (about reset chip) not appeared. System run and after log-in
    I checked Device Manager. Module was OK and without any "exclamation
    marks" on icon.

But! When I tried to open TPM.MSC - I got an error:
    "Could not load management console. TPM module returned unexpected
    result. (Exception HRESULT: 0x8029010C) Try again."

So.... probably TPM is... dead. Am I right?

• Edited by Krupers Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:43 AM Update
    Saturday, June 24, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Yep, according to all the information you provide, it appear that the main cause could be Hardware device. 

Have you contact manufacturer to check this issue?

Monday, June 26, 2017 7:00 AM
    Owner
  • Today I had a service visit with new motherboard.

Technician said that Dell Vostro, Latitude have that problem from time to time. 

My new TPM module version (INTC) is 11.0.0.1094 (previous was 11.0.0.1086).

So this is a proof that TPM was definitely dead.

Problem solved - every reboot just when desktop appear I can run TPM.MSC
    and I see information about clear module and it is working every time.

Case closed.

If you experience one of above problems - replace TPM or ask for a replacement
    of Motherboard. Nothing help in that case - module is damaged in irrecoverable mode.

• Edited by Krupers Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:49 AM