When Create a new group - I get "Access Denied" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a strange problem:

I have a restricted site: I create a new group there, add a testing acount user, then when I log in with this account it gives me "access denied"

I have other restricted sites - do the same there - no problems.

What can be the issue? I can't think of anything can you help please?

Thank you.

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi

to resume, what i propose

1. Create a new blank page on your site without any elements( without any element, and without master page connection - )  Add for this page, in permissions zone,  one user. not  the entire group

Using complete URL, like

http://domain/sites/path/your_new_page.aspx

try to connect with that user's credentials

Should work

2. For this page, add now the entire group and eliminate the user as individual entry

Check again

If this doesn't work check if the user is an domain security account  , and if really is member of that group

If this work, you should check inheriting permissions in your site

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by eclipsen2002 Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• Can any users access this restricted site, or is the issue limited to new users you are trying to add?

It sounds like the group you created doesn't have the necessary permissions to view the site. You'll want to compare the permission levels between a group that works and your new group.

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Non of them can access the site.

Also there was a group named: Members, people had access and there was no problem. I've re-named this group to contributing visitors, didn't change any permissions, in couple of days people lost access... That what was strange...

and every group I am creating there - this group gets "access denied" Why?

Monday, February 6, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Hi! Thanks for contacting Microsoft TechNet Forums!

What type of group you are created? Have you tried adding the user account instead the group? What happens?

Pablo Alejandro Fain
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
    To follow me on Twitter: @pabloafain
    To view my LinkedIn Profile: Click here
    This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties.

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:22 PM
  • I am creating a new SP Group and giving contribute permissions (actually full access permissions level doesn't work either). With the user the same story: access denied. Just to sum it up: Some restricted sites allow to create groups and user from this group can access this site Other restricted sites allow to create groups but the user can't see the site at all (access denied) I can 't understand why? Can it be somewhere in the site settings?
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:33 PM
  • What happens if you try to access some content of the site? A document library, for example.

I supose that you try to access a web part with an error or permission problem.

Pablo Alejandro Fain
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:06 AM
  • I can access any non-restricted content, except for the front page of the site. Strange...
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:29 AM
  • Can you access site settings for the site collection? Please, add /_layouts/user.aspx to the end of the URL and check permissions.

Pablo.

Pablo Alejandro Fain
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Hi

to resume, what i propose

1. Create a new blank page on your site without any elements( without any element, and without master page connection - )  Add for this page, in permissions zone,  one user. not  the entire group

Using complete URL, like

http://domain/sites/path/your_new_page.aspx

try to connect with that user's credentials

Should work

2. For this page, add now the entire group and eliminate the user as individual entry

Check again

If this doesn't work check if the user is an domain security account  , and if really is member of that group

If this work, you should check inheriting permissions in your site

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by eclipsen2002 Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Thank you so much. It does work and it is a walk around in this case, but still very confusing to me.

The inheritance is broken in both cases (the sites are restricted). So

when I add group to this blank restricted page first: the user from this group can see everything including the site's front page, but without other restricted content.

When just create a group in the same site and give the same permissions, but without adding to the blank page first - the user gets "access denied"

I don't understand why?

Can you please clear it out for me?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:42 PM