mailbox database contentindex state is failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two mailbox servers in DAG (MBX01 & MBX02).

when I check database copy status it show contentindex state failed on mbx02 server.

I tried with command update-mailboxdatabasecopy -identity database1 -catalogonly but it is gives error;

The operation couldn't be performed because 'database\*' matches multiple entries.

how to resolve it, please share resolution.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:06 AM

Answers

• I would run like this... Here copy on MBX01 is bad and you are updating it from MBX02 where content index is good...

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus "Databas1\MBX01" | Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -SourceServer mbx02.domain.com -CatalogOnly

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

• Edited by Amit Tank Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:54 PM updated cmdlet with "
    • Marked as answer by Belinda MaModerator Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

Please seed the content index catalog using the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -CatalogOnly cmdlet to check the result.

You need to specify the Mailbox server on which the database1 is, here is an example for your reference.

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity DB1\MBX2 -SourceServer MBX1 -CatalogOnly

For more details about this command, you can refer to the article below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dd335201(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can use ADSIEdit and remove the extra/unwanted copies there.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:19 AM
  • I would run like this... Here copy on MBX01 is bad and you are updating it from MBX02 where content index is good...

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus "Databas1\MBX01" | Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -SourceServer mbx02.domain.com -CatalogOnly

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

• Edited by Amit Tank Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:54 PM updated cmdlet with "
    • Marked as answer by Belinda MaModerator Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

I mounted only one database on MBX01 but remaining databases mount as well which should not happen. what could be the possible reason.

ContentIndex state failed error remove after restarting MBX02, it was OK for me but every time it's not possible to reboot.

what is perfect solutions to fix it permanently.  

Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

Please seed the content index catalog using the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -CatalogOnly cmdlet to check the result.

You need to specify the Mailbox server on which the database1 is, here is an example for your reference.

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity DB1\MBX2 -SourceServer MBX1 -CatalogOnly

For more details about this command, you can refer to the article below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dd335201(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:29 AM