none
Static IP network configuration and unified write filter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was trying to implement an ability to change static network configuration on a system locked down with Unified Write Filter.

There are ready samples for what needs to be excluded to allow Windows to join new networks: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/commercialization-public/blob/master/customize/enterprise/uwfexclusions.md#networks

Unfortunately that's insufficient for static network configuration entered through the network adapter properties configuration. It appears according to procmon recordings that changing even the netmask there produces quite an avalanche or registry changes, and excluding only some of those keys results in inoperative network, due to inconsistencies.

Has anyone successfully narrowed down what's needed for adapter properties in the protocol stack to be retained across reboots?

Thanks!

Sunday, July 8, 2018 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for coming TechNet forum.

For a better understanding about your issue, I would like to confirm with you about the point below at first. 

Do you mean static network can't filter whether connect to Wireless or Wired Internet, but Group Policy or registry keys can achieve, right?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

I think I run into the same problem as EFraim7.

I'm using win 8 embedded with UWF. I try to find a way to be able to change static ip at runtime, without disabling writefilter, restart computer, change ip, enable write filter and restart copmuter.

I excluded following folders and registry keys:

uwfmgr.exe registry Add-Exclusion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WiredL2\GP_Policy
    uwfmgr.exe registry Add-Exclusion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dot3svc
    uwfmgr.exe registry Add-Exclusion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\dot3svc
    Uwfmgr.exe registry Add-Exclusion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

uwfmgr.exe file add-exclusion C:\Windows\dot2svc\Policies
    uwfmgr.exe file add-exclusion C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\dot3svc\Profiles\Interfaces

But if you change static ip from your main network adapter the second time the adapter loses the connection to my network while uwf is on.

Afterwards IPconfig tells me I got an 169... address and Media State is disconnected.

Is there a way to change static ip while uwf is enabled?

Best Regards,

Alex

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same need: a tool (a batch file for example) that let the user change network configuration over existing network interfaces.
    I'm using Win10 and I'm protecting the volume with Win installation with uwfmgr.

I cannot ask the user to disable uwfmgr filter, reboot the system, change configuration, reenable uwfmgr filter and reboot again...

Me too I thought to use exclusion over some registry key. I tried to find every registry key involved in network config but I found the same informations under different keys.

Is there any detailed solution from Microsoft to go straight to the point?

Thanx
    Salvolds

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:46 PM
  • Hello Efraim7, did you find a solution? I have the same issue...
    Friday, September 28, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Hello Joy-Qiao, can you suggest how to find the exact registry key set to be excluded from uwf protection so than one can change network configuration as usual also if the uwf filter is enabled?
    Friday, September 28, 2018 12:01 PM
  • Has anyone figured out the solution to the above question?

I would really like to change static IP addressing while UWF is enabled.

Friday, April 12, 2019 5:54 PM