VISTA stuck in boot cycle RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba Satalite laptop, and yesterday I turned it on, and it gets to the Vista splash and restarts. It also does this in Safe Mode as well. Knoppix will not load at all, and I am at my wits end in trying to recover the CRITICAL data that is on it. Most of which is only a few days old, so no it is not backed up. Anyone have any fixes? At the present moment I am trying to install XP so that I can dual boot into the machine and HOPEFULLY copy the info to a thumb drive and then just wipe it and start over....of course this time with XP.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your problem description, the issue is most likely caused by the corruption of the bootloader; you might perform the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER

9. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it helps!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:16 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your problem description, the issue is most likely caused by the corruption of the bootloader; you might perform the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER

9. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it helps!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:16 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:53 AM

• I’m having a similar problem with my computer, it starts with the screen what OS do you want to run: Earlier version of Windows or Vista Ultimate.

Older version isn't there so I select Vista, then it comes up with a list of options: Start windows normally, start with safe mode, safe mode with networking and earlier time where there was a successful startup

Selecting start normally the screen goes to the green vista bar then blue screen appears and then restarts same with the other options and I cannot restore to an earlier time because Vista was only installed a few days ago so I don't have a restore point

I've just tried your suggestions Andy rebuild BCD FIXMBR and FIXBOOT both successful and no problems found on REBUILDBCD

I just ran the Startup Repair and according to the error report a patch is preventing my computer from starting, because I installed Vista I lost the front USB ports so I installed chipset drivers for my motherboard and that is what is preventing startup, anyone know how I can get the driver off so I can get my computer back

Sunday, May 3, 2009 8:47 PM