Acrobat Pro DC continuous App-V 5.1 - Start icon not being created RRS feed

• Question

Acrobat DC 2017.009.20058

App-V Sequencer 10.0.15063.0

(This same question has been posted in the Adobe Support forums as well)

I've successfully created and deployed Adobe Reader DC with the only struggle being that I cannot get the "Check for Updates" option to go away in the Help menu even though I've set the "bUpdater" registry key to 0 when customizing the msi within the customization wizard.  (Since I just typed all that, any help with this would be nice too!)

My current issue is with Acrobat Pro DC.  When I package it using the App-V sequencer, all goes great, except during deployment via SCCM.  Even though the option (which was set within the Adobe Customization Wizard) is set to leave the start menu icon (I am in fact removing the desktop icon, which works) the Start Menu icon does not appear (in the Alphabetical list nor in Recently Added) although the Distiller icon does appear (which is fine).

I hit the Start button and type "Acrobat" and the program is found and can be launched and used without a problem, but isn't an acceptable method for our end users. 

Anyone else having this same problem?

• Edited by JeremyB324 Friday, July 28, 2017 4:18 PM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:17 PM

All replies

• About reader, if I recall correct, setting the bUpdater, writes the regkey under HKML\Software\Policies\Adobe\... Policy hives (both HKLM as HKCU), are by default excluded from virtualization. With other words, they are set as PassThrough. You can change this setting, by removing the keys from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\VirtualRegistry\PassThroughPaths. This would effect ALL app-v packages.
    So better set this regkey through native windows GPO, which should reflect the reader package.

About acrobat, you find the exe through start->Run, because the installer from adobe probably also sets the AppPath key (HKML\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths), which is fully supported since SP2.
    What happens if you publish the application manually (without config manager)? What if you publish to user (I know, only publishing to machine gives full support). 
    Open the manifestfile (or deploymenyconfig) and post the part from the Acrobat Shortcut please.

Roy Essers

• Proposed as answer by Alex_Bodin Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:45 PM
    Monday, July 31, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I ran into the same problem when sequencing Adobe Acrobat pro DC.

You will need to edit your app-v sequence and export the manifest file. And search for <Applications xmlns this will take you to the application IDs of your sequence. every application ID has a <visual elements> where it stores a name and version of the application you sequenced.

check if the <name> for acrobat.exe and acrobatinfo.exe are unique. in my case acrobatinfo.exe had the same name as acrobat.exe.

after you made change you need to import your edited manifest and save your sequence

SCCM uses the manifest file to determine which applications to publish, in this case acrobatinfo.exe overwrote acrobat.exe because it had the same name. and so when the sequence is published it will not publish the shortcut. 

• Edited by Klopjero Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:30 AM