none
DPM 2019 - Autoloader LTO7 - only 100GB capacity per tape used

Question

• Hi

DPM 2019 (latest build) - Autoloader HPE 1/8 G3 with LTO7

We have fileserver with lots of data (15TB) and want to use long-term backup to tapes.

But job ends after backing ca 800GB with lack of free tapes. We have 7 LTO7 + 1 Cleaning. On which tapes we can see only ca 100-110GB of data.

Coolocation for protection group is enabled with 7 days for Write Period and Expiry Tolerance set. It seems as system backing up data to LTO1 tape.

I read some articles where they are playing with some registry entries (buffer etc.) but nothing looks logical for us. Other backup systems (Commvault, BackupExec) works with this autloader without troubles. We are using HPE driver but tested also common LTO7 for tape drive without success.

I tried to find -2147023779 and 0x8007045D in TEMP dir MSDPM*.errlog without success.

When I am checking driver of LTO drive I can see as maximum size number 107141398528 probably in bytes.

Any ideas?

Monday, March 4, 2019 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hello!

What is the status of these tapes under Management?

Could you verify your tape co-location settings and if all your protection groups do belong to a co-location protection group set?

Provide screenshots if possible, it helps a lot!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, March 4, 2019 11:46 PM
  • DPM 2019? Am I missing something...? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:28 AM
  • I mean build 1807, its DPM2016 but greatly improved. Sorry for bad description.

What is interesting is that all tapes after backup are filled from 100GB to 120GB and after 24 hours has status expired. I prepared tapes by standard way - so clean tapes  was identified and then erased.

Tape colocation for this protection group is set to 7 days for Write period and Expiry tolerance

Screenshot now not available, not connected to customer. 

I know and I mentioned already that I know that DPM usually extend long-term backups to more tapes, but problem is that I am not able to use more capacity from each tape. From some articles I understand that extending Write period can lead to use more capacity from each tape but not worked.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:53 AM