Vista USB not working for MIDI controller RRS feed

• Question

• i have windows vista dual core, 64bit, sp2, i have recent bought Mixtrack pro, its a USB DJ device (controller) it comes with a program called virtual dj that i assume has the drivers for the controller. even thought the box says the Mixtrack pro doesnt need any drivers. the application wont start without the controller being installed or recognized.  and it is not recognized in device manager, and beside its description is a code 1,

everytime the mixtrack pro is plugged in(it uses a usb wire) vista does not recodnize it even though the drivers for the device has already been installed

i see the device in the device manager but its in other devices with the question mark. the dj program along with the controller install on my xp just fine, i just need to know if theres a way for vista to recognize the controller or do i need ot take it in to be serviced, ive seen other people have similar problems with the usb, but since im using such a unique device the problem is not as easy to fix

Friday, April 8, 2011 12:10 AM

Answers

• ·          

Hi,

First, please make sure that the chipset (motherboard) driver and BIOS are up-to-date.

If there is any USB hub used, please bypass it.

I also would like to suggest the following to have a check:

1. Boot the in Safe Mode and Clean Boot to check if it works properly.

2. You may also reinstall USB controllers as below:

Reinstall USB controllers

====================

Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically after restarting your computer.

Use the Mouse

--------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.

2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

For more information, please refer to the following link:

General troubleshooting steps for USB device related problems

If the above steps not fix this issue, please try to remove the related program and driver, and then reinstall them in compatibility mode to test.

How to run an application with Compatibility Mode:

-------------------------------------------------

1.     Right click on the program's shortcut or executable file and select Properties.

2.     Switch to the Compatibility tab.

3.     Check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box.

4.     Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for and click OK.

Also, I suggest contacting with the manufacturer to check this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 15, 2011 6:42 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Suspect a defective device so check with its support.

Do other USB devices work properly on this computer?

Have you tried the device on other computers?

------------------------------

Do these to clear corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files.

Run DiskCleanup - Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup

Start - type in Search box -  COMMAND   find at top of list -  RIGHT CLICK  -  RUN AS ADMIN

sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
    generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Then run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

-----------------------------------------------

Then lets refresh the USB Stack

Control Panel - Device Manager - click anywhere in the blank/white area - then VIEW - Show
    Disabled Devices - look everywhere (except USB Controllers) for your drive (may have
    none or more than one) and Right Click on it - UNINSTALL.

Control Panel - Device Manager - USB Serial Controllers - RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL
    all except the category itself - REBOOT - this refreshes the drive and the USB stack

This KB shows the XP how to and the Vista method is identical
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Here is a utility to help but do the above 1st.

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well
    as all USB devices that you previously used. Run it Options and check the 1st three choices to see if any
    are there.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

You would remove all instances of the devices then reboot.

----------------------------------------------

If needed try both of these :

Tips for solving problems with USB devices - and a Mr Fixit
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c39bd203-f729-47a4-8351-83291e13c8a81033.mspx#EGB

Hardware devices not detected or not working - Mr Fixit
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardware_device_problems

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:08 PM
  • the devices works on other computers, on other vista and even xp, my usb ports work other devices such as my ipod, flash drive etc, ive got the  SFC.exe file and read it, there are sum errors and corruptions that havent been repaired, and i dnt know what to do with the information, the link you gave me shows how to read it, but i dnt know what to do. ive tried everything you've suggested and the problem persists, ive had a different brand of the same type of device thats giving me problems, and it give me the same problem

• Edited by trkchamp Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:54 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

Did you also run Checkdisk?

Are those device Windows 7 compatible? Check here and with the device maker.

Windows 7 Compatibility Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

========================================================

Many of the files sfc can't fix are not important.

Start - type in Search box ->  CMD   find at top - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

put the command from below (copy and paste it) into that box and then hit enter.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

that creates the sfcdetails.txt file in the folder you are in when you run it.

So if you are in C:\Windows\System32>    then you will need to look in that folder for the file.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
    generates in Windows Vista (and Windows 7)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

That creates sfcdetails.txt  in C:\Windows\System32   find it and you can post the errors into a message
    here. NOTE : there probably are duplicates so please only post each section of errors once.

You can read the log/txt files easier if you right click on Notepad or Wordpad then RUN AS ADMIN - then
    you can navigate to sfcdetails.txt ( in C:\Windows\System32 ) or cbs.log ( in C:\Windows\Logs ) as needed.
    (You may need to search for sfcdetails.txt if it was not created in the default folders.)

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:59 AM
  • on the computer that the device worked, i looked into the driver details and found the drivers i assume it uses to work, my idea was to copy them into my computer but i already have the drivers, so my next idea and i dnt kno if this is possible, but i have the individual drivers it needs to work, all i need is to sumhow make them look like a driver packet, or i need to find a device already on the comuter that uses the same drivers and load them, if that makes any sence

the closest driver ive seen was my hdmi sound driver, but its missing the usbaudio driver that my device needs to work correctly. here are the drivers the device needs to use

drmk.sys
    WMALFXGFXDSP.dll
    USBAUDIO.sys
    SysFxUI.dll
    portcls.sys

do you have any more suggestions or ideas on how to incorporate my idea if its even feasible

and my next post will be the sfc info, oh and yes the device is also compatible with windows 7 32 and 64bit, its not compatible with xp64 bit i believe

Ricardo murdock
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:21 PM

• 2011-04-09 12:39:50, Info                  CSI    00000183 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2011-04-09 12:39:57, Info                  CSI    00000185 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:40:00, Info                  CSI    00000187 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:40:00, Info                  CSI    00000188 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_17_for_KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.18005.948465-60_neutral_GDR"
    2011-04-09 12:40:01, Info                  CSI    0000018a [SR] Verify complete
    2011-04-09 12:40:01, Info                  CSI    0000018b [SR]

2011-04-09 12:42:54, Info                  CSI    00000223 [SR] Verifying 100 (0x0000000000000064) components
    2011-04-09 12:42:54, Info                  CSI    00000224 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2011-04-09 12:42:59, Info                  CSI    00000226 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:43:00, Info                  CSI    0000022b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:43:00, Info                  CSI    0000022c [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_17_for_KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.18005.948465-60_neutral_GDR"
    2011-04-09 12:43:01, Info                  CSI    0000022e [SR] Verify complete

2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    0000033d [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    0000033f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000341 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000343 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000344 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_17_for_KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.18005.948465-60_neutral_GDR"
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000346 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000347 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_17_for_KB948465~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.18005.948465-60_neutral_GDR"
    2011-04-09 12:46:56, Info                  CSI    00000349 [SR] Repair complete

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

Check with the device maker for suggestions on those driver. There may be known issues.

Try a InPlace Upgrade/Repair Installation which allows you to keep the programs and data
    though redundant backups are alway a good idea.

You can use another's DVD as they are not copy protected however you will need you own
    Product Key. It has to be the same 32 or 64 BIT OEM version of Vista. Also the System
    maker will usually sell the disk cheap since you already own Windows. Be sure to do a
    good backup or 3 (safety in redundancy).

In-Place Upgrade
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vista_installation_using_the_upgrade_option_of_the_vista_dvd.htm

This tells you how to access the System Recovery Options and/or from a Vista DVD
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-happened-to-the-Recovery-Console

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

====================================================================

Those errors only are in the settings.ini for the Sidebar and are not a serious issue by any means.

Close the Sidebar to do this.

Something else for the settings.ini - run AutoRuns and look at SideBar Gadget entries - are there
    any that point to no longer existing files such as temp ones or uninstalled or not running gadgets? Usually those will have "Yellow Icons" on the left side and the folder/files will not exist. If so right
    click on them and Delete - Reboot. This may fix the errors you are seeing.

Autoruns - Free - See what programs are configured to startup automatically when your system
    boots and you login. Autoruns also shows you the full list of Registry and file locations where
    applications can configure auto-start settings.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

-------------------------------

Another process to try is removing all but one gadget - whatever you think is the simplest you use
    - maybe the Calendar. Then REBOOT - use another simple gadget and remove the first one used
    - REBOOT again. See if that helps.

That error rarely causes significant issue with the Sidebar and does not affect the System in general.

The SFC.exe command reports Settings.ini file errors in the CBS.log file after you add gadgets to
    the Windows Vista Sidebar by using the Sysprep tool and an Autounattend.xml file.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947595

-------------------------------

Another method to try with the SideBar not running is to copy Settings.ini to another folder and
    then delete it - then start the SideBar.

--------------------------------

You could also try restoring it from any copy of a Vista DVD (same 32 or 64 bit though).

Access Files On Your Vista Install DVD
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86959-access-vista-install-dvd-files.html

How to extract missing system files from the DVD of Windows 7/Vista.
    http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/09/17/how-to-extract-missing-system-files-from-the-dvd-of-windows-7vista/

Hope this helps

Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:12 PM
  • ·          

Hi,

First, please make sure that the chipset (motherboard) driver and BIOS are up-to-date.

If there is any USB hub used, please bypass it.

I also would like to suggest the following to have a check:

1. Boot the in Safe Mode and Clean Boot to check if it works properly.

2. You may also reinstall USB controllers as below:

Reinstall USB controllers

====================

Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically after restarting your computer.

Use the Mouse

--------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.

2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

For more information, please refer to the following link:

General troubleshooting steps for USB device related problems

If the above steps not fix this issue, please try to remove the related program and driver, and then reinstall them in compatibility mode to test.

How to run an application with Compatibility Mode:

-------------------------------------------------

1.     Right click on the program's shortcut or executable file and select Properties.

2.     Switch to the Compatibility tab.

3.     Check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box.

4.     Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for and click OK.

Also, I suggest contacting with the manufacturer to check this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 15, 2011 6:42 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 5:47 AM