none
Full Key ID for Bitlocker? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the full key ID for Bitlocker, as it was installed on a Dell tablet.  However the user does not have the Bitlocker numerical password, from the Bitlocker encryption activation on the tablet's ssd hard drive.  When the battery on the tablet was recently replaced, the tablet would only boot to the point of the blue screen requesting the Bitlocker unlock password or key.

I have tried using the manage-bde applet's commands on the tablet to unlock it, but with all options and parameters that I have attempted, the Error messages comeback to can not complete as drive is locked.

I have been able to generate the TPM's ID and the PCR profile, so my question is there any utility or mechanism to generate the unlock key or password from the full ker ID?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:20 PM

All replies

• Please review: BitLocker Recovery Guide

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

Is it a local device or domain joined device? 

If it is a domain joined device, please contact with IT administrator to check if any Bitlocker management tool used to control recovery password. 

If is it a local device, according to my know, we could only unlock Bitlocker with password or recovery key rather than key ID number.

If the user can't login system, he will not find the recovery key with the key ID number. So I am afraid he need to perform a clean install to login Windows again.

By the way, please keep Bit Locker recovery key in Microsoft account next time to avoid data loss.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Just for a test: remove the battery and turn it on again.
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Still trying to find the Bitlocker recovery key for the tablet to  which the above post applies.

Three Questions:

1) Does any one know if the recovery key gets saved in the Windows 10 registry?  If so, which
    hive and folder might the 48 numeric key be in?  The registry can be accessed from the command
    line.

2) The system’s BIOS is UEFI, which has a custom keys option enabled.  Would the Bitlocker
    recovery have been auto saved in any of the key data bases?

3) The tablet’s user tells me that when Bitlocker was first activated, the original recovery key was
    saved on the C:\ directory which was the active directory at the time.  The file attribute is
    probably hidden.  What would the file extension be for the recovery key file?

I had tried the options of removing the battery and re-installing it before posting the first post.  
    The unit is a stand alone, not domain connected.

Suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Don't remove and reinstall the battery. Remove it, leave only the power chord connected and restart for a test.
    Monday, March 19, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:42 AM