Windows Server 2008 OS MP: Available Megabytes of Memory is too Low since last version RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Following a discussion on the Virtual Machine Manager forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachinemanager/thread/2c28ce41-4b4e-4586-98c6-f1f96a2b6e26/), user Sandy Wood and I believe that the error we get might be related to a Management Pack upgrade we recently made. I'm taking this discussion here as it seems a more appropriate place.

On November 10th I downloaded a series of upgrades for various management packs. Since November 11th, 2 or 3 of the servers in my domain are spamming us with critical alerts related to "Available Megabytes of Memory is too low".

This alert comes from the Windows Server 2008 Operating System (Monitoring) Management Pack, is targeted at Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and 2008 R2 Enterprise.

My current version of this MP is 6.0.6958.0. As I am writing this, there are no upgrade available on the online catalog for this MP.

We have made no change at all in our infrastructure since then, and yet get spammed with these alerts, for a few servers among the big numbers of servers we have.

What did change in this MP version ? How can we solve this issue, considering our available memory seems to be just fine as it is...

Bix
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

I think you can try setting overrides on the Available Megabytes of Memory Monitor.

For more information about the Base OS MP 6.0.6958.0, please refer to the following posts:

OpsMgr: MP Update: New Base OS MP 6.0.6958.0 ships.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/10/18/opsmgr-mp-update-new-base-os-mp-6-0-6958-0-ships.aspx

OpsMgr: MP Update: New Base OS MP 6.0.6958.0 adds Cluster Shared Volume monitoring, BPA, new reports, and many other changes

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/09/30/opsmgr-new-base-os-mp-6-0-6956-0-adds-cluster-shared-volume-monitoring-bpa-and-many-changes.aspx

Meanwhile, please also see the management pack guide:

Windows Server Operating System Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=9296

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bixessss Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:03 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Hello Nicholas,

Many thanks for your answer, it looks like the link you provided explained the things:

Available Megabytes of Memory” monitor script was updated.  The default value for threshold was changed to “2.5” to “100”.

I overrode this value to 31 (below 32MB ;) ) and everything seem to be back in order.

Thanks again for the documentation links.

Bix
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:03 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad to know the information is helpful. In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products or if you have any feedbacks, you are also welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks again! Have a nice day!

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 9, 2011 6:43 AM
  • I think the problem here is that they changed from a % to a MB number....the 2.5 was a percent if recall correctly.  Is there a way to build this monitor based on a percent again.  Lets say i have 2 boxes (1 is a 32GB RAM the other is 2GB  that 100 is somewhat ok on the 2GB but if my 32 GB box gets that low i know there must be another issue.  Is it possible to create another monitor similar to the one in the previous MP that did the calculations based on a percentage?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I'm with Matty T on this one.  This monitor would be more useful with a percentile threshold rather than a hard number.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:00 PM