none
Identifying files from 10 of the same camera RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I am a huge novice when it comes to scripts or id.txt files. 

I am trying to create a script that can uniquely I.D. all cameras even though they are the same. 

Is there some sort of script I can write to an S.D. card so that when I import photos from the camera to the USB, the computer automatically knows which camera is which.

This way it would prevent duplications and errors from occurring.

Thanks

• Changed type Progenez Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:09 PM Need to use in Nikon forum
    Monday, June 8, 2015 7:27 PM

All replies

• Just put names on your SD cards.

Each photo is also tagged with the camera ID.  You can use almost any photo editing/managing tool to see the tags, sort filter, etc.

Scripting is not the answer here.

Not that nearly all cameras can be set to add a prefix to all photos.  You can set each camera differently.

If you post your issues in a digital camera forum others there will show you how to use a digital camera effectively.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:27 PM
  • I am trying to import all of the files into the same folder, which populate as a specific subfolder with the unique I.D . Essentially I want to transfer all photos from each camera and it automatically names the folders for each camera.

Also the camera ID is encrypted. There is no unique i.d. on the EXIF information.

• Edited by Progenez Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Then set the camera to generate a camera specific folder name.  Post questions about how to do this in the forum for you camera.  For Nikon 3200-5700 it is on the setup menu.

We usually have two choices.  A specific name or a date.

Nikon allows 5 characters and then names all folders as 100CAM01,101CAM01,102CAM1 up to 999CAM01,

You can set the 5 digits. and all current folders will be renamed on the SD card. Most cameras follow similar conventions.  My SONY

Folders on very old cameras may not be able to be renamed.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:48 PM
  • I tried that folder option and it automatically defaults back to 100NIKON if I change it anywhere from 100-999NIKON. 

If I can write something to the SD card so that when I plug the camera into the computer, it automatically recognizes that SD as a specific I.D. and automatically transfers the images to a specific folder.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Change the label.  Like I said. This is a scripting forum. You want to post in the NIKON form to get instructions on how to set the folder correctly.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:55 PM
  • I just set the folder on my NIKON and it works just fine.   DO not reformat or erase or it will go back.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:04 PM