none
Workstations not Registering in DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All;

I have a simple network of 1 Server 2012 R2 and workstations of WinXP, Win7, Win10.

-I do not want to install Active directory on the Server.

-All PC are using Static IP addresses

-I installed DNS services on the Server and created the zone and configured PCs to use that DNS server (IP 192.168.0.100)

However; Nothing is getting updated on the DNS, no Records. I've tried using the ipconfig/registerdns on PC and tried some other suggested solutions on google but nothing works. I never had this problem when I had Active directory installed on the server, but now I've formatted the server and do not want to install Active Directory on it...

Any help is appreciated

nabil@qg-jo.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:29 AM

Answers

• Since these are computers with static IPs, it would be easier to manually add the records in your DNS zone.

You can also try setting a Primary DNS suffix on your machines and make sure that your DNS zone accepts dynamic DNS registration. More here: http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2013/06/12/dns-dynamic-updates-in-a-workgroup/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Hi Kenshiro01,

Hello All; I have a simple network of 1 Server 2012 R2 and workstations of WinXP, Win7, Win10.

-I installed DNS services on the Server and created the zone and configured PCs to use that DNS server (IP 192.168.0.100)

However; Nothing is getting updated on the DNS, no Records. I've tried using the ipconfig/registerdns on PC and tried some other suggested solutions on google but nothing works. I never had this problem when I had Active directory installed on the server, but now I've formatted the server and do not want to install Active Directory on it...

Any help is appreciated

nabil@qg-jo.com

I suppose the only way is manually add these records.

Besides, without using DHCP & AD, we could not dynamic update these records.

In addition, if you just want to manage these IP address of these clients, you could use IPAM feature.

More info, please refer to link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831353%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

A little more supplement:

If you have a  simple network, you do not need DNS even more, you just need to add this IP address corresponding FQDN into the host files.

While if you have a large network, I suppose the static IP address would not meet your demands.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:02 AM

All replies

• This is an odd situation, and I took a quick look at the Wikipedia page on the subject.  I'll sum that up here.  RFC 2136 supports all DNS record types, but often it is used only as an extension of the DHCP system, and in which the authorized DHCP servers register the client records in the DNS, but you said you were using static IP addresses, so that's out.  This is also easily achieved with Active Directory, which you stated you don't want to use, so can't use that either.  There are standards-based methods within the DNSSEC protocol suite, such as TSIG, have been developed to secure DNS updates, but are not widely in use.  This will not be a straightforward as you would like, I'm afraid.  Best to use DHCP with Active Directory, or at least DHCP alone.  That said, you can set static IP reservations on all of your clients, to keep each having the same IP address in effect permanently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Since these are computers with static IPs, it would be easier to manually add the records in your DNS zone.

You can also try setting a Primary DNS suffix on your machines and make sure that your DNS zone accepts dynamic DNS registration. More here: http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2013/06/12/dns-dynamic-updates-in-a-workgroup/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Hi Todd, and thanks for reply...

I have tried using DHCP alone -without Active Directory but that did not help...but at least your answer gave me a better clue

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi Ahmed...

Setting Primary DNS Suffix on machine did not help also...

I have to think of another way before starting to add those records manually..

Thanks

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi Kenshiro01,

Hello All; I have a simple network of 1 Server 2012 R2 and workstations of WinXP, Win7, Win10.

Any help is appreciated

nabil@qg-jo.com

I suppose the only way is manually add these records.

Besides, without using DHCP & AD, we could not dynamic update these records.

In addition, if you just want to manage these IP address of these clients, you could use IPAM feature.

More info, please refer to link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831353%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

A little more supplement:

If you have a  simple network, you do not need DNS even more, you just need to add this IP address corresponding FQDN into the host files.

While if you have a large network, I suppose the static IP address would not meet your demands.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:02 AM
  • Thanks Andy

I've already added them manually :)

I'll check this IPAM thing...sounds helpful to me

Thanks for reply

• Edited by Kenshiro01 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:20 AM
  • You're welcome, Kenshiro.

If you need more assistance, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:42 AM