OCS + SQL An error occured during the pool backend detection RRS feed

• Question

• I faced the following error trying to set up Communication Servers 2007;

"An error occured during the pool backend detection

Pool backend discovery failed

Failed to start SQL service or invalid SQL instance.

This can happen due to network or credential problems. Please make sure networks is good and logon has sufficient permissions."

I didn't see the solution I discovered anywhere, therefore I report it here below, for everybody's sake ( so I put my self a question, and I also gave me an answer...);

Even though Microsoft propose the solution http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=961946 ;

the main point is that SQL Server 2008 ( but I think the 2005 version as well ) comes with the TCP/IP protocol disabled by default: I'm pretty sure it is like this, because both times I installed SQL Server ( the second for SCCM ), it was always disabled: this leads to the fact that, if your SQL Server is running on a box different from the one where OCS is, the above error is generated.

To enable TCP/IP in SQL Server 2008:

Open "SQL Server Configuration Manager" > Go to "SQL Server Network Configuration" >

> Go to "Protocols for (DBInstance Name)" > Right click "TCP/IP" on the right and select

Enabled ( you can also access Properties, if you want to choose which IP address and

protocol ( IPV4/IPV6 ) the server should listen to incoming requests.

Regards.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:33 AM